Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
LC 808G - Carlton / Cortina / Sunbeam - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

LC 808G

phumy

• 1 month later...

Cant believe I missed this Martin.  No 808 is my old Carlton!    Fantastic to see its still looking good.  Had it for 10 years from '98 to 2008 and took it up from about 30ish to 80ish k miles.  Awesome car! 

I sold it to a lad (another Mike) from Wokingham....and now its found its way back West.  Happy days.

This was the day I delivered it to Wokingham

IMG_2224_zpsiuwhlctj.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions about its earlier life...

• Like 2

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Hi Mike good to hear from you, whereabouts are you based in Somerset. I bought the car from a guy called Billy Tarr from Lincoln who had it for a couple of years and did a lot of work on it underneath and engine-wise and its certainly in lovely condition inside and out. It never fails to put a smile on my face and it gets well appreciated wherever I take it too.

I know its a stupid question as I have done things in the past that I have regretted but why did you sell it, did you just fancy a change?

A nice shot that shows the Imperial Green nicely..

DSC_9088.JPG

• Like 1

Yes Im just outside Weston in Wick st Lawrence. Thanks for the update and really good to see the results of the detail it had done 8 years ago, its not in too bad a condition paint-wise but it could certainly do with a "mop" to get shot of some swirls on the body, I shall be getting the wheels refurbished again this Spring then shod with some new tyres. It certainly gets a lot of attention on the road and lots of "thumbs up" from other drivers too, a lot more than my Audi RS2 which is just as rare as the Carlton, maybe that's a good thing at times.

I have been buying spares for it as they crop up on the net or from with in the club, it seems that the club now has a few really dedicated people in the know who are now building up spares bases and/or are getting the rare parts remanufactured so that these cars can be kept on the road now. I would like to try to hang on to this one for as long as possible as its quite nice to drive and it brings a smile to me face when it gets on boost too, however you never know. Do you still have the Esprit?

Good plan, I also had the wheels done on it when I put new tyres on...used a place in Swindon that was good (but cant remember the name!) but since then have used SWWR in Marsh Barton Exeter and they have done a great job for me a couple of times on other cars.   Through ABS, if nowhere else, you'll have probably come across Joe Ellis up near Banbury.  He's a proper engineer and knows the cars inside out having built one from parts to race in America (search Agamemnon).  If he's still around, he can certainly make you bits if you need anything.  Also must mention  Autobahnstormers member Malcolm - partly cos he's a nice helpful bloke, but also because he's relatively local in Yeovil and again he knows all there is to know about the cars - of course I don't know if he's still around either!  And lastly, a shout for South West Lotus Centre down at Lifton (about 40mins the wrong side of Exeter J30 for you).  They do work on a fair few LCs and have their own sources of spares so may be able to help if you need it - they've just taken in an engine for a full rebuild and are finishing off rebuilding a whole one that's been on one of their lifts for a few months now.   

Yes I've still got the Esprit (Lionel) and M100 (Eleanor) but not Charlie Carly or Sonny Sunbeam.  They were all supposed to be my fleet for life...but things change!

I hope to see you and the car around sometime... Cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike it was a real nice surprise to meet you at Haynes last Sunday and good to hear about the history of the car whilst it was in you ownership, thanks also for the mileage update, which was a bit of a relief when you sent the last sales advert as I was somewhat concerned at what you initially told me but all cleared up now. I was surprised at the turn out there too on Sunday, I have been going almost every months for the past 18 to 20 months and have never seen it so busy as this Sunday just gone, I guess a lot of classic or car owners are taking cars out of SORN after the winter, at the beginning of April.

If ever I come down your way I will give you shout and maybe get you out in one of your beasts.

Martin

On 16/01/2017 at 08:12, phumy said:

Had my Carlton (808G) now for about 8 weeks and took it out with my RS2 at the weekend for a bit of a blast and took a few shots down on the seafront, this one in particular came out pretty good. The cars in comparison at speed are very similar with the Carlton gaining the edge on the straights but the nimbleness and German quality of the RS2 shows on the bends and winding roads, it also feels better built. The Carlton seems to get a lot of "thumbs up" from other drivers on the road, it just seems to have more presence on he road than the RS2, which basically still looks like a standard Audi 80 from the 90`s (The ultimate wolf....) however because the Carlton is a large car and the front spoiler reaches almost down to the road it looks a very imposing car in anyone's rear view mirror. Anyway my son and I ended our day on the seafront at Weston super Mare and took a few shots of the two cars together and this one turned out the best.

Dans Picture.jpg

What an awesome picture and great pair of vehicles you have Martin! I am very jealous! I love the understated profile of both cars, to the untrained eye, they could be the same as any other audi estate or carlton on the road when in reality that couldn't be further from the truth!!

Thanks for your comments @purso you are correct in the understatement of the cars and especially the RS2, not many know what it is and don't really appreciate what it is and also the rarity of it, however the people that do know are very impressed to see one in the flesh as they`re becoming a very rare beast indeed. The Carlton seems to be more recognizable, possibly as they've had quite a bit of publicity recently in the press and magazines at 90`s icons and "cars to own", if you can find one. I`ve not had either very long, I got the RS2 in February last year and the Carlton in November of last year so they are both a both a bit of a novelty to take out for a drive, theyre not garage queens either they both get the thrashing they were intended for and on a regular basis too. One I don't mind taking out in the rain, the other one only gets out when its not raining, bet you cant guess which one?

• Like 1

Just a lucky coincidence that I was at Haynes on Sunday Martin.  My mate Gary is one of the volunteers down there and he lets me know when "events" are on that he thinks I may enjoy.  They were expecting rather more Jensens to be there than actually turned up (although those that showed were generally very nice), but everyone was amazed at the overall turn out.  It was an absolute delight for me to see the Carlton looking so good and still wowing the crowds - made my day.  I hope you can keep her looking and going that good for many years to come. 

Nice idea to have a blat out and about sometime.  I did hear that our illustrious leader Bibs was due to make another flying visit sometime soonish so maybe there will be a cream tea run in the offing!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The Carlton is making its way up to Northampton to be detailed outside and in next week, will keep this thread up to date on how it goes, also getting wheels refurbished and new tyres fitted whilst its away. Hoping it comes back looking nearly new..

• Like 1

It was looking good anyway Martin so should indeed come back like new. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just got the Carlton back from the detailer in Northampton, all exterior, under wheel arches and interior detailed, wheels refurbished with new tyres fitted. I drove it from Northampton back to Weston super Mare yesterday afternoon and it was dry all the way until 5 miles from home and it chucked it down ad as there hadn't been any rain there was plenty of dirt and dust in the spray, so its now covered in dirt, so its out with the snow foam and buckets. 

IMG-20170714-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20170714-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20170714-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20170714-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20170714-WA0016.jpg

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

There is a Carlton up here in the NE sitting in a garage with something like 36,000 miles on her. Stunning condition. She gets taken out once or twice a year for a short run and thats it. The guy also has a few MK11 Lotus Cortina's and Elan's.

• 4 weeks later...

A Lotus Carlton went for auction at the Silverstone classic auction a couple of weeks ago and went for £76k, it had just 4.5k miles on the clock and has been bought by a classic dealer in Hampshire, it`ll be interesting to see if it makes the forecourt or just gets locked away.

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/08/2017 at 21:15, phumy said:

A Lotus Carlton went for auction at the Silverstone classic auction a couple of weeks ago and went for £76k, it had just 4.5k miles on the clock

Probably never been hillclimbing then. :devil:

Cheers,

John W