Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tail Light Mod? - Page 3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Tail Light Mod?

7 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

I had bought ten 1N4001 1As, all I had to do was to wire three in parallel each side to achieve the same thing.

Wiring diodes in parallel to increase current capacity is generally not a good idea unless their characteristics are the same (and this doesn't mean they are simply the same type) and they are thermally coupled as the load sharing almost certainly won't be equal.

• Like 1

Finished up this little job this morning. Went with the larger diodes and standard filament bulbs in the end as the LED stop/tail bulbs weren't nearly as bright on brake. OK for tail lamps but I wasn't happy with the brake lights at all.

@swindon_alan I bought the LEDs you recommended so you might want to check yours? Don't want anyone rear ending you...:dizzy:

End result is great and everything works so the MOT man will be happy too.

• Like 2

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

2 hours ago, Mark Blanchard said:

That does looks super cool.  So next job federal number plate surround and square plate to look even cooler?

I've already swapped my rear plinth for the V8 one with Louis badge so my rear is as cool as it's going to get.

Cue @Barrykearley flogging that spoiler horse again...

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

2 hours ago, Mark Blanchard said:

Less is more.  You will find this out when your Renault UN1 decides it doesn't like V8s, as they all do.

Ah no. Mine's bigger than yours. 50% in capacity, BHP and torque. Also has the Quaife upgrade sonny. Which Mr Kearley never got around to. Hence his pain. I felt really sorry for him :rofl:

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

• 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

IMG_1124.thumb.PNG.a17ff47a5c5b0c7335be651cd663d2ab.PNGhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162445767544 

@swindon_alan - check out both the car AND number plate I've found you....... this is ideal for the v8 !!

• Like 1

Only here once

2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

@swindon_alan - check out both the car AND number plate I've found you....... this is ideal for the v8 !!

Ha ha yeah ok Barry. Looks a bit too kit car for me though.

I passed on a barn find TR7 convertible on eBay on Friday night. Only £250 but to be honest I've got enough projects on the go. An unusual bout of swindon_alan restraint, that doesn't happen very often!

@eeyoreish you were right Neil, the LED stop/tails are awful, there is very little contrast between the two and could be pretty dangerous. I will buy four filament bulbs tomorrow <sigh>.

3 hours ago, eeyoreish said:

How did you get them to stay on the wall?? Julia will be impressed... 

Erm, man glue. Forward thinking and all that...

• Like 1

Alan, which LED bulbs are you using? I'm thinking of converting, but want to make sure I actually get more light output without paying silly money.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Hello Filip

I replaced nearly all of my filament bulbs (except the headlights and front fogs) a while back, not expensive:

I didn't really notice the poor contrast in the stop/tails until the PW mod when you have four of them and then it is very apparent. All the rest are fine, indicators and reversing lights, rear fogs, side repeaters, interior all good. It seems that "twin filament" equivalents are not there yet, I suppose that they will improve with time.