Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Hub Repair - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Hub Repair

Hi All

I have a juddering under braking that has turned out to be a spun wheel bearing/s, which have damaged the hub/s (only one stripped so far but both had a lot of runout). Looking for replacement hubs, they seem pretty much impossible to find; so I'm seeing whether I can repair what I have.

An engineer has told me that if there is less than .1mm of clearance, then Loctite 680 will be fine to use. I asked about machining and sleeving the hub to which he replied that the original part may have been case hardened, so the sleeve would also need the same treatment.

Has anyone else had this before? Are the hubs repairable or is there a source for replacements? I don't really want to slap another 2nd hand one in there that might have issues of it's own.

Ta
Cam

Sorted, so one side is fine, the new bearing went in okay. For the bad side, I got a complete NOS hub carrier/hub assembly from eBay.

One thing I'm a little bummed about, I went straight to one of the well known UK lotus parts suppliers for bearings and they're about £24 each + VAT and shipping. You then need to pay someone to press them out and the new ones in. Checking eBay, they have new bearings and hubs for about £20 delivered! If I'd known that, I would have done that in the first place, as I'd likely have been able to replace them myself:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Wheel-Bearing-Lotus-Esprit-3-5-V8-V8SE-V8GT-Sport-350-1996-2003-QWB467/272596510000?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40656%26meid%3Dad44d0056a4046b48890088da6cfe587%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D252840174141

• Gold FFM

Sorry to rain on your parade, but that looks like nothing that'll fit a GT3.  Time you stumped up to become a full forum member and availed yourself of a parts manual.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Which one? The one I bought?

I have a parts manual thanks and when I used it, there were 0 results as it's been discontinued by Lotus.

If it doesn't fit, I can send it back since it's titled as a GT3 hub.

I also spun a  bearing on a front hub, once...  The hub spindle is case hardened. 

I was able to buy new hubs from lotus for ~£55 each (in the sale)

The front bearings are easy to buy http://www.drhess.net/crystal_princess.htm

Wheel Bearing, Front Inner Toyota 90368-31067 Fits 1984 Toyota Celica front   No
Wheel Bearing, Front Inner   NACHI LM67048 Number on bearing on an 89 non-SE Marten No
Wheel Bearing, Front Inner BCA A6 For 1988   No
Wheel Bearing, Front Kit Repco WBK2884 900CAND8 Seal, outer and inner bearings Simon No
Wheel Bearing, Front Outer BCA A2 For 1988   No
Wheel Bearing, Front Outer   NSK LM11949 Number on bearing on an 89 non-SE Marten No
Wheel Bearing, Front Outer Toyota 90368-19037-77 Fits 1984 Toyota Celica front   No
Wheel Bearing, Rear     Front from: Renault Fuego 1980-'82?,Dodge Monaco, Eagle Medallian,Eagle Premier andrewp1989 No
Wheel Bearing, Seal, front   NGK AA2773E Number on bearing on an 89 non-SE Marten No
Wheel Bearing, Seal, front National 224820 For 1988, likely 88-92   No
Wheel Bearing, Seal, front Toyota 90311-48001 Fits 1984 Toyota Celica front

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

You damaged the hub?  Or the spindle on the upright?

Lotusbits has a front upright for £25 (this is the part that includes the spindle that would have been damaged when the bearing spun.

http://www.lotusbits.com/esprit_chassis.html

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Some years ago I used SKF bearings, payed around 35 euro per side.

SKF LM 67048/010/Q for the Front Inboard.                                     (SKF LM 67048/Q (Cone) & LM 67010/Q (Cup))

SKF LM 11949/910/Q for the Front Outboard.                                   (SKF LM 11949/Q (Cone) & LM 11910/Q (Cup)) 

Esprit Freak

• Gold FFM

Would that be the useful manuals in the paid up member section, the section that those with the affliction far more restrictive than the one that wont let water permeate past a mallards svinkter can't possibly look at?  :whistle:

• Like 2

Thanks for the info guys.

I put a dti on the rotors and measured a fair bit of runout. I was then able to feel slack when grabbing the wheels top/bottom and rocking them. At that point I took both hub assemblies off (incl calipers and rotors etc) and dropped them at the mechanics with a new set of wheel bearings. They called me and said they'd stripped the first one to find it had spun and damaged the hub; they could drop the bearing in and take it out again without resistance. They didn't say anything about the spindle being damaged. They called back later saying they other side was fine and took the new bearing okay.

I have physical and electronic copies of the GT3 parts and workshop manuals. I searched the part number of the hub to buy a new one but it's been made obsolete by Lotus, so I couldn't find anyone selling one that way.