Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
sealants etc. for drive shaft seal operation. - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

sealants etc. for drive shaft seal operation.

Hi all,

Getting closer to that job as they began to leak, and I now have sels, O-rings and some dort of drive in the seals Tool (without a handle), plus some punches to drive out the old roll pins, plus plenty of brake cleaner fluid. I will be doing it from beneath the car, so won't be taking the boot floor out.

But I read the manual, and some threads onhere, and seem to be lacking some sealant.

So, silicone mentioned, what exactly is that? Grease or real sealant?

Wellseal, what is that?  I am, as you may know, in Denmark, and they don't know that product.

The silicone mentioned on to te splines, is that silicone grease or silicone sealnat that have to dry up first?

What is the procedure for that?

Silicone on to the onter circumference of the drive shaft sels. What is that? Silicone grease or silicone sealant? Or something else?

What is the procedure of that?

And finally, what is the right way of maybe adding some sealant(?) behind the seals (or maybe between the new O-rings and the seals)?

Anything else I need? Other types of tools, sealants, grease etc.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

I have just done this job and have found that putting a sealant on the seals an absolute nightmare. I found that the seals would walk back out of the gearbox. Much easier to just fit them dry.

You use silicon sealant on the ends of the new rollpins after they are installed to keep water out. Rollpins and water do not play well together.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I bought a tube of Wellseal on eBay. It's good stuff. 

Prepare your body though. It takes a shit ton of hammering even with the tool to get the seal into the gearbox - and the second you stop hammering to catch your breath, it will slide back out reducing all your progress to nothing! 

The only other sealant you need for this job is some silicone sealant in the drive shaft roll pins (not the splines!!!!!!) 

Edit: I also coat the o-ring in gearbox oil before sliding over the splines. Also coat the inner lip of the driveshaft seal with oil before putting it all back together. 

I've used @Vulcan Grey's illustrated guide for this job both times I've done it.

Drop me a PM if you need hints or tips.  

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

In the Lotus Service Notes, it is clearly stated, taht a special driver Tool is needed, and it has a handle to steer it.

The one I got from SJ is only the tapered part, no handle. Have anyone used something ordinary to fit to this SJ Tool and had it Work propperly?

Thanks Vanya, I'll get a tube of wellseal. 6,5 GBP is nothing.

So, the silicone sealant you mention, is that a never hardening type (dries up)? Or a everlasting soft greasy type? Something else? Oil resistant? Thin or thick? etc?

Wil this do the job?

https://www.silmid.com/sealants/silicone-sealants/loctite-5331-white-100ml-gb-tube/

or maybe this is better?

https://www.silmid.com/sealants/gasket-sealants/hylomar-hylosil-instant-gasket-40ml-tube/

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

I used the SJ tool T000T0681F for inserting the driveshaft seals. I came with the handle. See the picture on their website. There is also a small fitting guide.

The only problem I had with the SJ tool was that it didn't want to slide nicely over one of the splined driveshafts. But some "elbow grease" in combination with some sandpaper (or similiar) to smooth out the bore in the tool fixed the problem. 

Any sealant which sticks on metal, forms an elastic seal and is resistant to oil will work.

I would not use the loctite 5331, the Hylomar you mentioned looks like to do the job properly.

Use some gearbox oil on the inside diameter of the seal when using the tool. (not on the outside of the seal).

Have Fun :),

Freek

Esprit Freak

12 hours ago, Jacques said:

In the Lotus Service Notes, it is clearly stated, taht a special driver Tool is needed, and it has a handle to steer it.

The one I got from SJ is only the tapered part, no handle. Have anyone used something ordinary to fit to this SJ Tool and had it Work propperly?

Thanks Vanya, I'll get a tube of wellseal. 6,5 GBP is nothing.

So, the silicone sealant you mention, is that a never hardening type (dries up)? Or a everlasting soft greasy type? Something else? Oil resistant? Thin or thick? etc?

Wil this do the job?

https://www.silmid.com/sealants/silicone-sealants/loctite-5331-white-100ml-gb-tube/

or maybe this is better?

https://www.silmid.com/sealants/gasket-sealants/hylomar-hylosil-instant-gasket-40ml-tube/

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Dunno anything about a handle. The SJ tool I have is a huge chunk of steel with two collars that fit over it together with the seal to get it to the right depth.... 

@fjmuurlingHave you also heard of people trying to do this job without removing the boot  floor? I believe it's fucking impossible. Luckily my little brother is damn efficient at removing the floor (he's done it like 5 times or more by now).

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8