Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
I need a turbo for a 1986 HCI - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

I need a turbo for a 1986 HCI

86esprits3

I took my turbo off and found that the intake side blades are chewed a bit. I tore the engine down and found no damage! Anyone know if the impellor can be changed with a new one or do I need a whole turbo assembly. If so, where can I get one. Can I get a new one?

thanks

Mark

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took my turbo off and found that the intake side blades are chewed a bit. I tore the engine down and found no damage! Anyone know if the impellor can be changed with a new one or do I need a whole turbo assembly. If so, where can I get one. Can I get a new one?

thanks

Mark

Try www.mjmturbos.com

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

I do not know if it affected performance, because this is my first esprit, and I got a good deal on it. Real nice condition, but it sat for years. I drove it briefly, but decided to tear it down and have a look at everything. The exhaust manifold and cams where leaking oil anyway. I want to replace all seals, gaskets, etc.

Mark,

Welcome to the Forum.

I have sucessfully run the saab 900 type Garrett turbo on mine for about 12+ years.

It spools quickly, and is a great way to get rid of the external wastegate if it is causing you problems. This turbo won't be for higher power levels due to it's size, and it may run outside of efficiency range @ high cruising speed and/or long periods of boost.

Unless you're running on a track, it won't be a problem.

I am considering an upgrade to a slightly larger Garrett ball bearing turbo (the Disco Potato) to run in a more efficient range.

Let us know what you're expectations are and perhaps other ideas will be forthcoming.

Cheers, Lee