Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
So this happened this past weekend - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

So this happened this past weekend

mark248am

i should do that as well. So i open the trunk and i look inside and my battery is lying there right in the middle! No idea how many sessions I did with my battery moving around in the trunk with just the battery cables holding it. Is this common? It also disconnected my left turn signal light and smashed my turn signal bulb. Nothing serious just had to replace the bulb.

battery.jpg.c7d70dbb0c587f3966328ec9543cd817.jpg

Also experienced my first spin out! Not related though :)

• Like 2

I was thinking about that but they're so expensive. So a friend told me about the Odyssey PC680, it costs slightly more than the regular battery but weighs around 7KG. Double that of a lithium battery but a third of the cost and less than half the weight of the regular OEM batteries.

IMG_0580.jpg

Mark, I used that PC680 Odyssey battery very easily and successfully on my Elise S Sports Racer a few years back. No issues at all with the right charger. (Wrote it all up with lots of detail on here.)  But the battery is now on the (appropriate) conditioning charger in my garage as I've assumed it could not handle the V6 in my current Exige 350. Are you actually using a PC680 on the Exige S?

My friend who has a Mitsubishi Evo told me about it, he's been using it on his car so I assume if it can handle the evo it could handle the Exige? I tried to find some info online but can't seem to find anyone who's used it with the Exige yet. Might have to google some more.

Mark, of the many aspects of a battery specification, a critical one must be the Cold Cranking Amps (CCA). The PC680 is 170 CCA rated.  From the Odyssey spec chart, the "type" is just a reference; 680 doesn't appear in any specified parameters.

The battery in your boot, AC Delco  48H-7MF is 660 CCA from the AC Delco chart via Google. (The 48H one).  http://www.dstgateway.com/ACDelcoDocuments/BatterySpecifications.pdf

That would tally with the Varta Blue E43 in my Evora a while back, listed as 680 CCA. (Same engine.)

Although the PC680 worked well with never a stumble in my Elise S (standard battery 440CCA), that much smaller 4 cylinder engine almost certainly required a lot less cranking torque than the Exige S does. (Not just the cylinder and capacity counts but things like the compression ratio and the I/O valve timing overlap at low speed - so I can only say I strongly suspect so.)

I wouldn't risk it even trying it. All kinds of danger, including effectively a near short circuit across the battery from a "stalled" attempt to crank.

If and when I want to follow up an AGM battery for mine, I will start with something like this, perhaps. (Not actually shipped to the UK)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=n9kdWvLYCeTRgAbNp4LoCg&q=AC+Delco+H48+battery&oq=AC+Delco+H48+battery&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1615.15495.0.15705.22.20.2.0.0.0.108.1887.16j4.20.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.19.1692...0j0i131k1j0i3k1j0i10k1j0i13i30k1j33i21k1j33i160k1.0.fq9tNAzgwIMl

Saving even a third of the weight comp with ordinary lead/acid would be worthwhile - they are really heavy!  Do note AGM batteries differ. You might like to follow up my detailed posts all about voltages etc in the Elise Section. Sorry, can't look it up, I've timed out for now, checking these specs.

Mel

and what about such a lithium one ? CCA value seems to be ok, isn't it ? 

https://www.mylithiumbattery.com/shop/12v-lithium-ion-battery-packs/12v-lithium-ion-starter-battery/powerstart-12v-starter-battery-600cca/

2016-10-09_13-28-32.jpg

electronically regulated, same dimensions as the PC680 ...

Here’s the research I made, two years ago :

I remember now that charging capacity has to be checked too... for example, the Skyrich battery should be sufficient, but can only cope with a MAX 60Ah charging, and IIRC, the Exige alternator produces more than 70Ah !

On 11/27/2017 at 23:47, usurp said:

i should do that as well. So i open the trunk and i look inside and my battery is lying there right in the middle! No idea how many sessions I did with my battery moving around in the trunk with just the battery cables holding it. Is this common? It also disconnected my left turn signal light and smashed my turn signal bulb. Nothing serious just had to replace the bulb.

battery.jpg.c7d70dbb0c587f3966328ec9543cd817.jpg

Also experienced my first spin out! Not related though :)

I just realized my original post had some text in the beginning deleted. It’s supposed to say:

This past weekend I took my Exige to the track and then during one of the breaks between sessions I noticed people were opening their engine hoods to cool the engine down so figured I should do that as well....