Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
oil leak - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

oil leak

Guest V8- goooooooo !

Guest V8- goooooooo !
post-566-1121719197.jpg1999 V8 just sported a small oil leak - any suggestions on where it may have come from - Its on the inside near the bulk head I dont trust my dealer and would like a few possibles to throw at him while he is scratching his chin and racking up the

post-566-1121719202.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice car.

I'm a new guy (third post here) but from my limited reading so far I'd say check your cam seals. You should be able to get your hand (again from what I've read) in-between the engine and fire wall. Give a wipe with a finger underneath each cam sprocket. It should be dry under each. If not, well you've found an oil leak.

I say an oil leak because you can always have more than one. Hopefully if you do find it, it's the only one. :o

• 3 weeks later...
:) I've got a leak in exactly the same place. Seems to be coming from the oil filter. It is only leaking when the engine is running and is therefore pressure dependant. I am told it is likely to be the oil filter itself with a leaky lip seal. Only solution is to get car on 4 poster jack, clean everywhere and then repeat 24 hrs later, leak should be visible. Take a mirror with you (if only to watc you own face drop if it's the head) got to keep your sense of humour intact.....don't trust you dealer....where are you ?? The club, or this forum should be able to recommend a good alternative. Hope it's nothing serious !

• 2 months later...

dont rule out the oil pressure feed and return to the turbo chargers it is easy to find it take the wheels of and you will see the turbo oil pipes run your fingers around the connections and see what shows up if you find it is this and need new pipes I have some for a lot less than lotus will charge.

regards bob

:) I've got a leak in exactly the same place. Seems to be coming from the oil filter. It is only leaking when the engine is running and is therefore pressure dependant. I am told it is likely to be the oil filter itself with a leaky lip seal. Only solution is to get car on 4 poster jack, clean everywhere and then repeat 24 hrs later, leak should be visible. Take a mirror with you (if only to watc you own face drop if it's the head) got to keep your sense of humour intact.....don't trust you dealer....where are you ?? The club, or this forum should be able to recommend a good alternative. Hope it's nothing serious !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>