Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Fancy a drive to Iceland? - Events - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Fancy a drive to Iceland?

pas

Saw TopGear on BBC on Sunday (maybe repeated this week sometime) and they messed around in Iceland.

The roads look fantastic and the scenary is too. Clear, smooth tarmac. Great photo opportunities with natural steam vents in the rocky outcrops behind your car! Anyone in UK/Europe fancy getting together on an Esprit outing? It would be a dream trip for me.

I'll have a search for how to get there, speed limits, accomodation, best time of year etc ...

Any live there, been there, or have any clues please post. Also any interest?

Paul

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw TopGear on BBC on Sunday (maybe repeated this week sometime) and they messed around in Iceland.

The roads look fantastic and the scenary is too.  Clear, smooth tarmac.  Great photo opportunities with natural steam vents in the rocky outcrops behind your car!  Anyone in UK/Europe fancy getting together on an Esprit outing?  It would be a dream trip for me. 

I'll have a search for how to get there, speed limits, accomodation, best time of year etc ...

Any live there, been there, or have any clues please post.  Also any interest?

Paul

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi - I popped over to Iceland recently for a day trip - didn't take the S4 though - had to slum it on a plane. Scenery is absolutley fantastic and where the Top Gear team ended up (if you recall in a restaurant) was a simply superb natural hot spring resort called the Blue Lagoon where you could soak away all your worries! The only thing that may put a damper on things though is that I recall our guide for the day telling us that the national speed limit is 50mph -although having said that I didn't see even one policeman let alone any speed cameras.

Chris

Hi - I popped over to Iceland recently for a day trip - didn't take the S4 though - had to slum it on a plane. Scenery is absolutley fantastic and where the Top Gear team ended up (if you recall in a restaurant) was a simply superb natural hot spring resort called the Blue Lagoon where you could soak away all your worries! The only thing that may put a damper on things though is that I recall our guide for the day telling us that the national speed limit is 50mph -although having said that I didn't see even one policeman let alone any speed cameras.

Chris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dang. You are correct Chris. The speed limit on paved roads is 90 kmh. I'm not sure the trip is worth it for the scenary alone, though the drive through Scotland to get there would be nice.

Dang. You are correct Chris. The speed limit on paved roads is 90 kmh.  I'm not sure the trip is worth it for the scenary alone, though the drive through Scotland to get there would be nice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Too true - the only difficlut bit then is getting acorss the water. Unless of course you have the underwater white Esprit - afterall it must be out there somewhere!!!!

• 5 weeks later...

I know someone who'd been but it was about 10 years ago. They had a small car ferry thing that used to run out of either Ullapool or John'o'Groats until about 1995 when it was discontinued. It was a seriously small thing, only took about 16 cars and the crossing was a dreadful 31 hours. Crap food, worse weather, only ran in the 'so called summer' and then of course they screwed you over for the ticket prices...

Iceland is without a doubt an AMAZING place.... somewhere I've always promised myself I would go. If we could maybe get just 10 or more LEW members to seriously go for it I reckon we'd stand a chance of COMMISIONING a CHARTER crossing with Caledonian MacByrne, they're a small Scottish Ferry company that normally does little crossings to the Western Isles. If we braved the terrible winter weather, we would hit the company in their 'slow season' and then in about Feb or early March I reckon something like 10 to 15 grand plus the Lotus car publicity would sway the small ferry company like that into giving us one of their bigger 30-car boats (more suited to ocean going) for a week's trip. We could then tailor all our requirements with them, like cabins etc, perhaps even get them to get some special food it - turn it into a sort of mini-Arctic cruise. (96 hours there in Iceland, 62 hours at sea).

The only other way I can think of (unless anyone has a spare cargo plane kicking about under the sofa). Is Shipping containers - and we all know what that means... dented Lotuses from dimbo dockers. Not to mention the price tag which I think is 535GBP per container (with MAERSK, someone else might know a cheaper carrier) unless you have a mass shipping account with them... which I don't :)

BTW Feb or March in Iceland means something like 3 hours of daylight a day, but wonderful sunsets and long 3 hour dusks. I hope everyone's got their popup lights working! Would be nice to see that snowflake come on as well :(

Edited by EspritMiltonKeynes

EspritMiltonKeynes - ironically now lives in Edinburgh London (SE4)

:)

James... Did you decide to drill a hole in your numberplate plinth after all?

Have you been sniffing GRP-repair solvent?! :(

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Guest teigan

one thing i plan to buy someday is a historic DC3 american cargo plane. it doesn't need a long runway, and could easily carry a few cars. iceland would definitely be on the list of destinations.

• 2 weeks later...
one thing i plan to buy someday is a historic DC3 american cargo plane.  it doesn't need a long runway, and could easily carry a few cars.  iceland would definitely be on the list of destinations.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great! Well that's sorted then. Looking forward to LotusInIceland2012. I'm glad to see such enthusiasm in the face of madness. I wonder how Top Gear did the trip? ;)