Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Installing Polyurethane Bushings... - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Installing Polyurethane Bushings...

I have finished installing the new Lotus suspension and Polyurethane Bushings in the rear :P Now I am trying to install them in the front. Much to my dismay it appears that the only way to get the old bushings out is to use a hydraulic press...big deal you say, well in order to press out the bushing on the front lower control arm it must be removed which involves disconnecting ball joints, tie rods and disconnecting brake lines which of course means I need to bleed the whole system again. Anyone know of another way to go about this? I REALLY don't feel like remove the ENTIRE front suspension just to push out ONE busing :D

Cheers,

Graham

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Graham,

The big metal sleeved one that sits on the front lower inner part of the control arm is a pain to get out. All the other ones are are easy compared to that one.

Yes, you should use a press.

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

I have finished installing the new Lotus suspension and Polyurethane Bushings in the rear :P Now I am trying to install them in the front. Much to my dismay it appears that the only way to get the old bushings out is to use a hydraulic press...big deal you say, well in order to press out the bushing on the front lower control arm it must be removed which involves disconnecting ball joints, tie rods and disconnecting brake lines which of course means I need to bleed the whole system again. Anyone know of another way to go about this? I REALLY don't feel like remove the ENTIRE front suspension just to push out ONE busing :D

Cheers,

Graham

Marcus

Cheers,

Graham

Hi Graham.

I Did my front suspension last year. You shouldn't need to disconect your callipers, just either suspend them with a cable tie, or rest them on a block so the wieght isn't on the brake lines. If you don't have braided hoses, then now would be a good time to fit, and to bleed the brakes isn't that difficult a job. I would anticipate replacing the track rod ends, depending on how old they are, you will more than likely end up spliting the rubber on removeing them from Hub , thus making an instant fail on MOT. You may be able to simply unscrew these from the rod that joins these to the rack. Thus leaving them connected to the Hub. But again if these are quite old then replacing them now might save you time in the long run.

Also be careful with lower ball joint, its a pig to remove from Hub & again you may split the rubber. & yes as has been said, you will have to press that bush out. And one last tip. Make sure you replace the anti roll bar back the right way. Yes, it has a right way up.

i have loads of phots if you need to see then let me know & I ll email you.

Daz

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

Hmmm...well I guess I will just got ahead and take the whole thing apart :P Hopefully I can manage this one without breaking any rubber boots along the way! Thanks for all the advice guys, if I get stuck perhaps I may just ask you for some of those pics Daz :D

-Graham

Edited by Drfatz

I've just done this job.

Depends how seized the parts are, one side of mine took me 2 days, the other side I did in 50 mins between 10pm and 11pm last night !

First I would drop the anti-roll bar off it's mounts to enable the wishbones to move more freely.

Removing the disks and calipers are essential for easy access but if you can suspend them all the better.

Remove the upper wishbones from their ball joints and swing them up - undo the 4 nuts on the top of the damper and push on the wishbone to get it off the chassis. Remove it from the lower wishbone as well and take it totally off.

Now put the top wishbones back on the ball joint and undo the nut on the lower ball joint (22mm ?)

Undo the 2 bolts holding the lower wishbone to the chassis and it should come off.

Pressing the ball joint from the hub is a nightmare sometimes - the one I did last night took 2 secs, the other side took most of that evening !

It might be worth laying the car up and soaking the stuff the night before starting work in a releasing oil.

Once it's out use a vice, you'll find it very hard in a fly press...if not impossible due to the construction.

You want something like a scaffolding tube to use to press the bushes out - they can be stuck fast, I had to use a 'Lee' at work today to help push mine off.

It's a pig but put it back with some copper grease inbetween the 2 and you should never have to part the bushes again being polyurethane.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Well I managed to get the dampers and springs off last night thanks to a writeup on LEW :thumbsup: Tomorrow night I will attempt to tackle the ball joints :thumbsup:

Stupid question...just so that I am 100% clear in the full poly bushing kit you are to replace the front upper wishbone bushings correct? I am 99.9% sure this is the case, but I was having a hell of a time pressing the old bushings out!

-G

Yep it was a hell of a yob

like allready mentioned above i also directly replaced my brake lines for the steelflex ones

if you take the calippers off and disconnect the lines you will have to bleed the brakes

but

make sure you put a stick between your front chair and the brake pedal (and push it a bit)

keep it in this position

like this you won't have to bleed the whole system

rens

Edited by rens914

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing

Are you using a vice ?

It's the easiest method if you dont have a press - you can even use 2 sockets to do the job - remember the old bushes have a metal outer casing, the new poly bushes dont so you might be pushing against the wrong bit.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

And if all else fails (I agree wih 2 sockets, ust make sure the one pressing on the wishbone is big enough not to touch the outer edge of the bush).....

you can get a small drill between the 2 metal sleeves maybe nore than 1.

Push a fret saw or coping saw blade through this, cut the rubber away, and then you're free to carefully slice the outer casing away with a hacksaw, and everything gest really easy to push out then.

Andy

I will try the vice and socket method and if that fails then its on to the drill bit and hack saw...and if THAT fails its off to my pro drag racer neighbor who has a very nice press...as well as methanol :-P

And if all else fails (I agree wih 2 sockets, ust make sure the one pressing on the wishbone is big enough not to touch the outer edge of the bush).....

you can get a small drill between the 2 metal sleeves maybe nore than 1.

Push a fret saw or coping saw blade through this, cut the rubber away, and then you're free to carefully slice the outer casing away with a hacksaw, and everything gest really easy to push out then.

Andy