Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coolant gauge sensor / sender location and why two wires? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Coolant gauge sensor / sender location and why two wires?

Hello

having initially a wobbly temp needle on throttle on an 88 turbo and then a complete gauge failure I went looking for the sender and yes it was off.....it wasn’t too clear on the Internet forums so here is a picture to help others

its up front below the timing belt on the water pump. 

But can anyone answer why there are two wires going to the gauge (one of mine remains disconnected - is this ok?)

cheers

D2695FEF-C0C1-438C-BBC7-187B81197196.jpeg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

Ffm membership gives you access to the manuals. In them are the wiring diagrams I’m sure.

wires shouldn’t be flopping around up there. The Esprit has plenty of spare wires in other places though. 

I know on the later cars there’s an Earth tag just by there. Have you looked around for a spade for I to go on? I’d be trying grounding that wire out and seeing what that does

Only here once

11 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Ffm membership gives you access to the manuals. In them are the wiring diagrams I’m sure.

wires shouldn’t be flopping around up there. The Esprit has plenty of spare wires in other places though. 

I know on the later cars there’s an Earth tag just by there. Have you looked around for a spade for I to go on? I’d be trying grounding that wire out and seeing what that does

Hi

when I ground it out it acts just like the other wire and swings the needle all the way to the right.   It’s like a redundant extra  wire to the gauge.  

2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Put the two on the sender then - what happens then ?

Two won’t fit on one tab on the sender but I will check continuity between the two.  I suspect it is a redundant double up on wires. 

I think that the circuit is earthed or powered elsewhere, so it’s only the wire with the spade connector you need to worry about really. It can go brittle and the wire break. Happened to mine. Then you have to go quite far back to get to a decent bit of wire to connect to with a new length of wire.