Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Power steering gone ultra light (can spin like a dogem!) - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Power steering gone ultra light (can spin like a dogem!)

Happening on journey to Westerham- a trip to push my radius of reliability lol!

It' gone crazy light - with the car stationary you can spin the steering wheel and it will keep spinning to either lock.

Idea? Blocked return?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you might be onto something with a blocked or kinked return pipe in the power steering hydraulics...

There are a couple of other basic factors you could consider:

What tyre pressures are you running? They should be around 22psi. If you've inflated them to modern 35 psi or suchlike, they are over inflated and will only be making contact in the centre of the tyre cross section.

I'd also check the track rod ends. If you have a looseness present and suddenly have toe-out it could cause wandering and lightness in the steering.

A common fault on our cars is the little bushes that join the ARB to the lower front wishbone. When these are gubbed it allows for fore-aft movement and changes in the castor angle. You'd ordinarily feel this as a oull to the side or "wander" under braking. If your castor has suddenly changed it could perhaps affect steering feel? I think this is unlikely as it shouldn't be a huge change, but it is worth a look. My money is on the hydralics however....