Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Grunting Noise In The Console - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Grunting Noise In The Console

Hey all! I hope things have well with you. I have a question. When I turn the car on (without starting it), I hear a grunting noise behind my stereo. It kind of sounds like Marge Simpson grunting at Homer (seriously). It'll go about after 3 or 4 grunts. Then it will start again after a few. Anyone know what this is? It sounds like it is below the center console vent.

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all! I hope things have well with you. I have a question. When I turn the car on (without starting it), I hear a grunting noise behind my stereo. It kind of sounds like Marge Simpson grunting at Homer (seriously). It'll go about after 3 or 4 grunts. Then it will start again after a few. Anyone know what this is? It sounds like it is below the center console vent.

You haven't had it serviced recently or had any work done on the air-con? Maybe, they couldn't get one of the mechanics back out from under the dash? If you feed him then it may provide a temporary fix. However, I would opt for letting him starve - 1, he will loose weight and be able to escape or 2. he will pass away - either way problem solved although option 2, will leave some residual smell.

Sorry not very helpfull... :wacko:

Jeff

Is your air vent control knob on defog ??? I was hearing a funny noise coming from behind the center console until I directed the air elsewhere...Just a guess.

Edited by Bernie

Is your air vent control knob on defog ??? I was hearing a funny noise coming from behind the center console until I directed the air elsewhere...Just a guess.

Bernie,

Currently, the car is taken apart. There is no fan running when I turn the car on. Initially, I thought it was the fresh air vent in the bonnet, however, when I hear the noise, the vent is either fully closed or fully open. I heard it all of the time and when the car was running it went away. Now that the car isn't running and I place the car in IGN on, to listen to radio and roll the windows down, I hear it. Of course it stops when I turn the ign off and leave the key in for AUX power.

Was just wondering. It's starting to annoy me; mainly because I have no clue what it is.

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

I think the V8 has an electric vacuum pump, so it sounds like the vacuum pump switches on with your ignition, and then actuates the fresh air flap inside the front compartment. If this is a bit stiff, it will make a grunting sound I suppose. Open your bonnet and turn the ignition on and see if you see the flap moving. May just need some WD40 on the hinges.

When the pump goes off, the vacuum will slowly be lost and return the flap to it's rest position.

Glyn,

Sorry the V8 does NOT have an electric pump NOR a mechanical one. The vacuum thats only used for the climate controls is taken directly from the intake manifold/plenum and stored in a vacuum tank located in the left hand engine compartement just above the left hand fuel tank.

The noise you hear may actually come from the climate control mechanism. Please do a test and turn the climate control knob to the most left (air down to the feet) position. In this position you should not hear that noise.

Please check and report.

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

I think the V8 has an electric vacuum pump, so it sounds like the vacuum pump switches on with your ignition, and then actuates the fresh air flap inside the front compartment. If this is a bit stiff, it will make a grunting sound I suppose. Open your bonnet and turn the ignition on and see if you see the flap moving. May just need some WD40 on the hinges.

When the pump goes off, the vacuum will slowly be lost and return the flap to it's rest position.

Marcus

Glyn,

Sorry the V8 does NOT have an electric pump NOR a mechanical one. The vacuum thats only used for the climate controls is taken directly from the intake manifold/plenum and stored in a vacuum tank located in the left hand engine compartement just above the left hand fuel tank.

The noise you hear may actually come from the climate control mechanism. Please do a test and turn the climate control knob to the most left (air down to the feet) position. In this position you should not hear that noise.

Please check and report.

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

Marcus,

I will try that this afternoon. I know that my my airflow is set to the face vents.

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

Glyn,

Please check and report.

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

As bells and whistles descend from the heavens, a ray of light shines onto the body we know as Marcus

Dude, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That at least stopped the noise. The climate control was on face withthe a/c option. Why does it do that?

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh ... many Thanks for the praise, Nathan ! :coffee:

Why it makes that noise ? Honestly I donot know ... my V8 also does it (although almost unhearable).

Fortunately, I never have had the pleasure to remove and examine all that climate control mechanism in a V8 :cheers:

Does anybody here on the forum know how the climate control mechanism and all these flaps work ?

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

As bells and whistles descend from the heavens, a ray of light shines onto the body we know as Marcus

Dude, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That at least stopped the noise. The climate control was on face withthe a/c option. Why does it do that?

Marcus