Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Wheel Spacers - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Wheel Spacers

I read everything here about wheel spacers, but I still can't get a definite answer.

I want to put spacers on the rear of my S4s for cosmetic reasons only. Will that affect handling and strength at all?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

In my humble opinon i think spacers are a bad idea,spacers increase the leverage on the hub,more spinning mass,your geo will need to reconcile the extra width.But i may be completely wrong and leave myself wide open !

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

The track (disance tween the wheels) will alter the cars handling (depends how much you move them out by).

Most spacers don't weight that much anyways as they are aluminium and radially not that big compared to the wheel / disk.

There will be an added unspring weight / gyro effect but nothing like upgrading the brakes to a larger size for comparisons sake.

The issue you might find is the hub post (which the wheel sits on) is not long enough anymore.

Vs strength - again depends how much. Ideally I need to move the GT2 rears out by 17mm and I came to the conclusion that was acceptable without any alterations. The bearing might take slightly more wear (oh well...), the bearing bolts on the rear hub are going to be worked a bit more and the driveshaft might have something to say about it as the end nut clamps the hub to the bearing.

You could lengthen the bearing to hub carrier bolts and even back them with a nut (if it will clear the pole wheel) - there's no way in hell they'll ever strip out then.

It's a long way off for me but I was going to check with Lotus before I actualy done it.

Generally the wheel / tyre is wider in this case (see sport 300) so what sticks out is counterbalanced on the inside.

I am fitting 295/35 (eg S350) on my rears as opposed to 285 which are on standard S4s/V8 when I move my wheels out.

Thats my thoughts - personally if I were you I'd get in touch with Lotus and see what the car can and cannot take - perhaps worth dropping a line to Mike Sekinger about his GT1....although I think he has single nut wheels, I think the other parts might be the same as standard ?

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

I got spacer on my car, F20/R30mm, and the oprics are great. Moved the wheels to match the arches.

20/30 mm extension does not make much of a difference in the geometry, IHO.

I will however replace them with my Sport 350 MAGS next year.....

Spacers are the way to go on the Esprit !

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

I got spacer on my car, F20/R30mm, and the oprics are great. Moved the wheels to match the arches.

20/30 mm extension does not make much of a difference in the geometry, IHO.

I will however replace them with my Sport 350 MAGS next year.....

Spacers are the way to go on the Esprit !

Olaf, do you have the added wheel arches as on an S4/S ? Or standard as on an S4 ? ( looking at your pic seems to be standard S4 ?)

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -