Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Kelsey Hayes 430 Abs Unit - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Kelsey Hayes 430 Abs Unit

Hi all,

Just got my car back from Long Stratton Motor Company, excellent service was very impressed. They have diagnosed my ABS fault as being due to the Kelsey Hayes unit being defective.

I have a source for a replacement part by my question is:-

What is involved in changing this module? Is it just a bolt off - bolt on part or is there a lot more too it? Does it need configuring or setting up electronically?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Chats

Adam

1999 Lotus Esprit GT3

1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1 1600 though will be an 1800Ti upon completion (Currently in bits all over the garage and has been since 2004)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Just got my car back from Long Stratton Motor Company, excellent service was very impressed. They have diagnosed my ABS fault as being due to the Kelsey Hayes unit being defective.

I have a source for a replacement part by my question is:-

What is involved in changing this module? Is it just a bolt off - bolt on part or is there a lot more too it? Does it need configuring or setting up electronically?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Chats

Hi Chris

What exactly have they diagnosed as being defective? I take it the computer is faulting itself as you have been told to replace it?? What is/was your original snag?

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

Hi Chris

What exactly have they diagnosed as being defective? I take it the computer is faulting itself as you have been told to replace it?? What is/was your original snag?

Nick S4s

They say that the Kelsey Hayes unit is at fault. They said when diagnosed it brought up various fault codes which upon clearing, kept returning. I called an engineer in from Lotus and his diagnosis was an ABS ECU defect. The snag itself came up just over a month ago being that the fault light comes on on start up and remains on all the time. The garage checked all the harnesses, sensors and wiring and said they could find no fault with these items.

Chats

Adam

1999 Lotus Esprit GT3

1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1 1600 though will be an 1800Ti upon completion (Currently in bits all over the garage and has been since 2004)

They say that the Kelsey Hayes unit is at fault. They said when diagnosed it brought up various fault codes which upon clearing, kept returning. I called an engineer in from Lotus and his diagnosis was an ABS ECU defect. The snag itself came up just over a month ago being that the fault light comes on on start up and remains on all the time. The garage checked all the harnesses, sensors and wiring and said they could find no fault with these items.

Chats

Maybe it would be possible to borrow one from somebody before you shell out for a high dollar item and positively pin point the computer as the culprit? Has anyone got a wiring diagram/schematic for this Kelsey Haynes set up??

I found this, maybe this company can point you in a definite direction? http://www.agblock.co.uk/index.php

Nick S4s

Edited by fflyingdog

Simplest things first.

Maybe it would be possible to borrow one from somebody before you shell out for a high dollar item and positively pin point the computer as the culprit? Has anyone got a wiring diagram/schematic for this Kelsey Haynes set up??

I found this, maybe this company can point you in a definite direction? http://www.agblock.co.uk/index.php

Nick S4s

Thanks for the help Nick.

I will see what I can come up with.

Regards

Chats

Adam

1999 Lotus Esprit GT3

Hi There,

Malc Holmes (Espritism) has Kelsey haynes ABS Units and should have the ECU. If you live local to him then Iam sure he'll let you try before you buy. All you'll need to do is plug it in. If your check light doesn't come on then buy it!

Hi There,

Malc Holmes (Espritism) has Kelsey haynes ABS Units and should have the ECU. If you live local to him then Iam sure he'll let you try before you buy. All you'll need to do is plug it in. If your check light doesn't come on then buy it!

Thanks Dave,

I will bear that in mind :yes

Regards

Chats

Adam

1999 Lotus Esprit GT3

Thanks Dave,

I will bear that in mind :yes

Regards

Chats

Hi just had my kelsey-hayes 430 tested by a company called autotek they can recondition the unit if required they charged me

Hi Paul

I take it they didnt find anything amiss with your module?

Nick S4s

Hi Nick

Yes they said the module was ok with no faults but I have no warning lights and the brake peddle is rock hard as if the servo is not pumping up, I can not pump the peddle it is solid the brakes work but only about 10%

Thanks for that Paul,

I will bere that company in mind

Chats

Adam

1999 Lotus Esprit GT3

Hi Nick

Yes they said the module was ok with no faults but I have no warning lights and the brake peddle is rock hard as if the servo is not pumping up, I can not pump the peddle it is solid the brakes work but only about 10%

Ok ,your abs warning light does come on when you turn ignition on right? then i take it once youve started engine all warning lights extinguish? Have you got a wiring diagram/schematic for this car?? its hard trying to troubleshoot something blind you just end up throwing parts at it=lots of money wasted ! Jonothan have you a wiring/schematic for this system??

Nick S4s

Its only a machine man built it man can fix it

Edited by fflyingdog

Simplest things first.

Hi Adam,

As Dave mentioned, I have a couple of EC430s that have come from crashed V8's ('98 and '99). You are very welcome to try one out if you like. Don't know how much you have been quoted, but I would rather move these on since I keep tripping over them in my very over filled store room, so it won't be a daft price.

All the best

Malc Holmes

www.espritism.com

Hi Adam,

As Dave mentioned, I have a couple of EC430s that have come from crashed V8's ('98 and '99). You are very welcome to try one out if you like. Don't know how much you have been quoted, but I would rather move these on since I keep tripping over them in my very over filled store room, so it won't be a daft price.

All the best

Malc Holmes

www.espritism.com

Hi

I have found the problem with the brakes it was not the ABS modul it turned out to be the servo vacum pump not working they are on back order with Lotus so if anybody has a Wabco A082J6175 vacum pump for sale I would be interested the pump is located in the lefthand corner of the boot.

ginuter@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks for all your help