Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
big bag of nuts.... - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

big bag of nuts....

Hi there,  

I`m redoing the front suspension and brakes on my 85 S3 and I think it would be wise to buy a big bag of stainless nuts and nylocs to cover anything i need to take off  (looks like most of it) and replace, what sizes are used in general if im going to buy a greb bag?  rather than trying to guess wwhat ill be taking off and buying then from sj or wherever? 
Its all pretty rusty under there and looks like a lot of the nuts and bolts have turned back into to iron nuggets.  

cheers,

Mark

ive gone through SJ`s page and extracted what info i can,  but theres lots that dont have info as to what they are.  if anyone can flesh out the actual specs of the nuts and bolts ive posted below that would be great if known..  it would be kinda cool to put together a full suspension set of stainless and appropriate grade 8 nuts and bolts where they are standard sizes.

if we get the full set of info i`ll add it all to my esprit interchange spreadsheet that i have on here.

front suspension-

? thin lock nut
? wishbone washer (special large O/D either side of bushes)
? bolt grade 8 - damper to lower wishbone
? bolt - anti roll bar to chassis
? bolt grade 8 - lower wishbone pivot
? bolt - front disc to hub
? bolts - caliper to vertical link

M8 nylocs - top ball joints
M8 grade 8 bolt long - top ball joint
M8 grade 8 bolt short - top ball joint
flat washers 1/2 x 1 inch
nyloc nut 1/2 unf (T / BS thin)
7/16 unf nyloc nut (trunnion bolt)

rear suspension

bolt - radius arm to mounting
thin lock nut for stud upright

m10 x 120mm grade 8 bolt  - radius arm to uptight (early, later is 130mm)
washer - 7/16 x 2inch - one each side of radius arm mount
flat washers 1/2 x 1 inch
Flat washers, 1/2 inch x 1.25 
M12 nut, DRIVESHAFT ADAPTER/DISC to GEARBOX
nyloc nut 1/2 unf (T / BS thin)

bolt m12 grade 8 (length?) - radius arm to rubber mounting
Bolt grade 8? (length?) - top link to rear upright
bolt grade 8? (length?) - lower link to chassis
? BOLT, TOP LINK to CHASSIS for LATER (approx 1982) MODELS
? BOLT, TOP LINK to CHASSIS for Earlier (approx before 1982) MODELS
? LARGE SPACING WASHER, (Each side of link bushes)
? DRIVESHAFT BOLT

cheers! 

I think Nuts and general bolts are ok for various parts on the car, but some of the larger bolts for the susension etc folks say not to use stainless due to stainless not been as strong and can potentially fracture iirc ? 

A

59 minutes ago, silverfrost said:

I think Nuts and general bolts are ok for various parts on the car, but some of the larger bolts for the susension etc folks say not to use stainless due to stainless not been as strong and can potentially fracture iirc ? 

yeah, some of the bolts and studs will be grade 8 (possibly higher), ive put a grade 8 (?) on that list where i think they will be high strength and thus not stainless. 
ta! 

Edited by Mark Wainwright

Hi

I am just finishing off rebuilding my 1984 S3 turbo so should be much the same as yours. I have attached a list of all the nuts and bolts I needed for a full chassis off rebuild. I think its pretty well everything. I used this to then buy in bulk mostly from ebay. I hope it helps you.

cheers

Christian

ps I did not go stainless as I wanted to stick to the higher grade material throughout, and lets face it after doing all this work I am not leaving the car out in the rain!

Respray vsn 2.xlsx

• Like 1

A lot of the original bolts listed were not metric, and ideally you'd want the original imperial size if possible.

For example, the upper front balljoint, were a 5/16, and probably an 8mm is close enough but not an exact match. As compared to the top pivot thin locknut which is on a shaft that is 1/2 inch with UNF threads at each end, so the thin nut has to be UNF. 

I'm not a fan of stainless,  you have to get the high strength stuff to match "8", or the even better stuff to match "12", and if it does go wrong it's a PITA to remove.

• Like 1

yes sorry, I was only doing  the table for myself so did not bother putting any key on it. Column G is number off, column D is the Illus No. in the Esprit parts book.

I did change a couple of bolts to get a closer fit. For example the radius arm bolt was imperial but the hole in the new bush I bought was a size up metric so I opened up the hole in the radius arm to get a closer fit. I also went up a size on the front lower wishbone outboard bolt from metric to imperial, again to get a good fit on the trunnion. I don't think this is really necessary but I was just trying to get rid of any slop in the suspension.

cheers

Christian 

On 28/02/2019 at 12:31, C43 said:

Hi

I am just finishing off rebuilding my 1984 S3 turbo so should be much the same as yours. I have attached a list of all the nuts and bolts I needed for a full chassis off rebuild. I think its pretty well everything. I used this to then buy in bulk mostly from ebay. I hope it helps you.

cheers

Christian

ps I did not go stainless as I wanted to stick to the higher grade material throughout, and lets face it after doing all this work I am not leaving the car out in the rain!

Respray vsn 2.xlsx 22.63 kB · 6 downloads

I just asked Steve at SJ for all the nuts bolt and washers that go with all the front and rear suspension components when i did all mine last year and he knew exactly what was needed and put it all in the box with new shocks spring and bushes

• Like 1