Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Petrolgeneration's Metallic Grey 2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250 - Project Thread - Page 5 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Petrolgeneration's Metallic Grey 2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250 - Project Thread

A question to the track guys here: does anyone have any experience with the Racelogic Tire Temperature sensor kit?

It looks really nice and seems to be working great. I think it would be a great tool on the track. Wouldn't be using it as an advanced setup tool but I would like prefer to avoid overheating, getting fade and thus hitting a wall when sending it ;)

spacer.png

It's expensive as it is also a full data logging system and would be quite redundant to my MXE dash but realtime tire temps really seem very useful to me imho.

Thoughts?

Edited by Petrolgeneration

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Is the CAN interface on your AiM unit configurable? If so, why not just purchase the external IR sensors separately and integrate them with the AiM unit? Having all car data logged into a single unit will make data analysis much easier.

Let me know if you want any recommendations on where to source sensors from. 

12 hours ago, JamesS. said:

Is the CAN interface on your AiM unit configurable? If so, why not just purchase the external IR sensors separately and integrate them with the AiM unit? Having all car data logged into a single unit will make data analysis much easier.

Let me know if you want any recommendations on where to source sensors from. 

It is supposed to be. There is an option that should work.

http://izzeracing.com/products/tire-temperature-pressure-monitoring-system.html

I do have some questions for that system:

- battery based, not sure if that will work flawlessly. Reception?

- how well will the aim data be able to read this. I would really love to see temps decent in real time. Data reading after the trackday is fun but I think it would benefit me to be able to do decent realtime readings and adjust in the paddock where necessairy

If the CAN is configurable then you've got a wide choice of sensors you can add on. I've seen the Izze Racing system before, but not heard anything about them. They're not an established provider of this sort of system, and from what I can see, the system requires quite a bit of manual setup and it doesn't have any certifications.

If you only want tyre temperature, then something like https://www.texense.com/en/irn4c-infrared-tyre-temperature-sensor-72.html might be of use.

If you're after tyre pressure and internal tyre temperature, then something like https://www.bf1systems.com/product/irtptms/ this might be more suitable. The bf1 system is widely used in motorsport and is extremely well proven, providing all data in real time which would do what you want. 

11 hours ago, JamesS. said:

If the CAN is configurable then you've got a wide choice of sensors you can add on. I've seen the Izze Racing system before, but not heard anything about them. They're not an established provider of this sort of system, and from what I can see, the system requires quite a bit of manual setup and it doesn't have any certifications.

If you only want tyre temperature, then something like https://www.texense.com/en/irn4c-infrared-tyre-temperature-sensor-72.html might be of use.

If you're after tyre pressure and internal tyre temperature, then something like https://www.bf1systems.com/product/irtptms/ this might be more suitable. The bf1 system is widely used in motorsport and is extremely well proven, providing all data in real time which would do what you want. 

Interesting.

You know anyone with experience with these on AIM systems? Wonder if you can have an overlay on the video for these systems aswel? I guess it would be possible as it is just assigning sensors.

Any idea of pricing? Don't get why they use 'request quote' , such a terrible business move. I might even be too lazy to check now 😛

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Small update!

I had the opportunity to drive the Lotus on Circuit Zolder 2 days ago on the brand new tarmac.

I really need to fix the new pedals. With my regular shoes I'm able to heel-toe very clean but using my racing shoes, I just can't do it comfortably. Atleast we know what to do in the next couple of days.

First time I used my GoPro to give a helmet cam view. Looks pretty decent although camera is a bit low.

• Like 1

New minor update!

Car is at the dealer. There is a small hardware issue with the Aim MXE2 dash which causes it not to illuminate all the aircon controls, just part of it.
Dash is going back to Aim so hope to get it back soon.

I also want a full system flush aswel to use racing oil, coolant and brake fluid (open for suggestions!). FLuids haven't changed since I got the car and I've done a few trackdays so it's time to do so.

Also installed the SRP Exige racing pedals for better heel-toe action. Looks pretty good I must say!

spacer.png

Also met @GFWilliams yesterday for the first time. We have been talking for a while about our cars and I guess we're both crazy enough to do crazy stuff to the cars so I guess that's why we get along so well haha.
He was passing by Antwerp in Belgium and we decided to meet up real quick (at a social distance outside offcourse) outside my local Lotus dealership.

Too bad both of us weren't in our Lotusses but I guess that's an excuse for a second meetup, hopefully without a lockdown regulation :)

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Hi mate,

i have the same car, i am very interesting about how your car came along if you add some more mods or kept it pretty much stock.. how about the exhaust? I am debate whether or not modify my car or upgrade for an exige.. thanks