Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Speedo drive disengaging - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Speedo drive disengaging

I've had to reseal the rear gearbox cover on my 85 turbo but can't get the speedo drive to stay put in the plastic housing. The pic shows it's already fallen partially out and keeps dropping fully out so I can't take the risk and reseal the cover. Should there be an o ring on the spindle? Doesn't show anything in the parts manual but I can't see how it would stay in otherwise. Maybe @LotusfabĀ can help as I know you've got yours apart presently...Ā 

Ā 

rps20190429_101324.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There's a notch on the backplate you have removed that holds the drive gear in. I used a blob of grease to keep in place whilst refitting the plate.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• 10 months later...

my speedo is very erratic bouncing around a lot. I have checked the speedo itself and changed the cable to no avail. I am thinking that drive gear may be worn, or perhaps the right angle drive. Can I remove that gear or the right angle drive without taking the back off the gearbox?

ta

ChristianĀ 

Mine used to bounce around a fair bit at lower speeds, and from my experience it's more likely that your speedo needs an overhaul than the right angle drive gear needs attention. I used a company called Speedograph Richfield in Nottingham who did an excellent job, however there are many other companies around the UKĀ  who can provide a similar service.

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

Hi Choppa

I used the same company so pretty sure my speedo is fine. Also if I put a drill on the gearbox end of the speedo cable and drive the cable that way the speedo is rock solid.

cheers

ChristianĀ 

WellĀ  it's not that then!Ā 

So in response to your question, I believe the right angled drive is held in position by one of the bolts that go through the end cover. If you look on the parts diagram you'll see the case of the right angle drive assembly has a semi circular cut out to accommodate it,Ā so maybe the whole cover does not need to come off. Having said that I've never taken my gear box apart, I got Harry Martens to do the overhaul and fit the LSD so I stand to be corrected. As mentioned aboveĀ Fabian has had his gearbox apart recently so he'd probably give you an answer

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

No I think your right, one of the bolts should go through and hold the drive in place. However when they rebuild my gearbox they put a short bolt in so I can just pull my right angled drive out (as I did once accidentally). I am thinking this may be why my speed jumps, because my drive is not rigidly held in place. Trouble is to fit a longer bolt I need to remove the silencer and lower exhaust mount. May be a good job if I am stuck at home for a week or so!