Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Snetterton - July 30th - Page 2 - Trackdays - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Snetterton - July 30th

Gordon S

I would love to join on 30th July but will be tricky for me to get the day off work. Will see what I can do.

If I am able to make it, I’d love to share garage/instruction etc. Would be a cracking day.

Thanks all!

I would like to join you at Snetterton 30 July, I will see how things look diary wise.  Could be a good warm up for Brands GP with LoT on 1 Aug.

Hi guys,

I have just spoken to Shawn at STR Racing. Half day will be £250 full day will be £350 plus £20 booking on fee. Not sure if there is any VAT Obviously this will be split by however many drivers you like . best of to email shawn@strgb.co.uk

• Like 1

On 12/05/2019 at 12:01, Colin67 said:

Morning guys. I've been away all weekend competing in the Brighton and Hove sprint at Goodwood and unable to access my account here. Unfortunately I cannot make the 30th July as I'm at the LOT Bilsterberg and Spa trackdays on July 27th and 29th respectively, travelling home on the 30th. 

I also enjoy Snetterton, so sorry to miss it. However, please keep me in the loop for future gatherings. Enjoy the day.

Shame you can't make it Colin, how was the sprint? any footage?

Hi Alastair. The sprint was a hoot. No footage unfortunately. I got faster each run, improving by about 2 secs from last year. It's amazing how absorbing the whole process is, even though you only complete 4 laps during the whole day!!. Great variety of cars and a really friendly club. Well organised too, given there were about 120 entries. The club have another sprint at Goodwood, the Eagle sprint on the 3rd August. I'm entered and I think they have places available. I'm sure you would love it and Snetterton would be a good prep for it eh! You should come along, preferably to compete, but if not just for the fun of the event and get an insight into sprinting. Another Elise Cup owner on this forum competed in the sprint for his first time and enjoyed it so much he has just booked onto the Eagle sprint. Come to think of it there were quite a few Elises and S2 exiges but no Lotus V6's! Where are all the V6's??

Anyway, have a great day at Snetterton Alastair.

Hi Alastair. Very easy to get the licence. Its an online application through the Motorsport UK website, costs £30-£40 I think. I must say I have been very impressed with the MSA efficiency, only takes a few days to arrive. If you fancy entering I can provide all the info, equipment etc that you need, both to satisfy the regs and join the Brighton and Hove Motor Club and get into the right class.  For the Bailey Sprint it was 105 dBA static and 101 dBA at 10M drive by. I think entry is £130.

Look forward to seeing you there Alastair. If you fancy entering let me know. Its worth turning up for the event just for the bacon butties, burgers, etc from the burger stand there.  

3 hours ago, Colin67 said:

Hi Alastair. Very easy to get the licence. Its an online application through the Motorsport UK website, costs £30-£40 I think. I must say I have been very impressed with the MSA efficiency, only takes a few days to arrive. If you fancy entering I can provide all the info, equipment etc that you need, both to satisfy the regs and join the Brighton and Hove Motor Club and get into the right class.  For the Bailey Sprint it was 105 dBA static and 101 dBA at 10M drive by. I think entry is £130.

Look forward to seeing you there Alastair. If you fancy entering let me know. Its worth turning up for the event just for the bacon butties, burgers, etc from the burger stand there.  

Hi Colin,

I have toyed with having at go at this myself but in light of the static noise tests I have been put off.

I imagine the 410 and 430 Exiges static at 5,200 will hit over 105db, are all events static test or are some just drive by

30 minutes ago, Tex said:

Hi Colin,

I have toyed with having at go at this myself but in light of the static noise tests I have been put off.

I imagine the 410 and 430 Exiges static at 5,200 will hit over 105db, are all events static test or are some just drive by

Drive by too. My 400 with a quieter exhaust than OE hit 96db on the driveby a couple of months ago - black flagged at lunch and couldn't get back on with additional cans after the static test was louder than I did in the morning. Limit is 92db...

Hi @Tex. I have only done two sprints, both at Goodwood, and in both cases they performed static tests. However, I'm not aware of any cars failing the drive by's on my two events, having successfully passed static. Goodwood seem to operate at two noise levels which not only sets levels but also determines how many cars they allow out on track at any one time. When I was there recently for a 98 dBA track day they told me they are limited to 10 cars only, so I spent a lot of the day waiting in line. Also they were flagging for cars to get further apart to reduce cumulative noise levels. 

On Saturday there were plenty of loud cars, especially getting off the line, but having borrowed an Exige 380 when my Elise Cup was being serviced I appreciate just how loud they can be. Not sure what to suggest really, but perhaps the drive by levels for competitions are higher than normal track days. Certainly for the sprint, at 101dBA at 10 metres, thats a reasonable increase over track day allowances. 

2 hours ago, Gashead1105 said:

Drive by too. My 400 with a quieter exhaust than OE hit 96db on the driveby a couple of months ago - black flagged at lunch and couldn't get back on with additional cans after the static test was louder than I did in the morning. Limit is 92db...

Yes it’s really why the Evoras and the 2 most powerful Exiges are untrackable ( not sure that’s a word ) 

Thought maybe sprint days might have a different view on noise. You can short shift on track days but obviously sprint days are against clock 

2 hours ago, Colin67 said:

Hi @Tex. I have only done two sprints, both at Goodwood, and in both cases they performed static tests. However, I'm not aware of any cars failing the drive by's on my two events, having successfully passed static. Goodwood seem to operate at two noise levels which not only sets levels but also determines how many cars they allow out on track at any one time. When I was there recently for a 98 dBA track day they told me they are limited to 10 cars only, so I spent a lot of the day waiting in line. Also they were flagging for cars to get further apart to reduce cumulative noise levels. 

On Saturday there were plenty of loud cars, especially getting off the line, but having borrowed an Exige 380 when my Elise Cup was being serviced I appreciate just how loud they can be. Not sure what to suggest really, but perhaps the drive by levels for competitions are higher than normal track days. Certainly for the sprint, at 101dBA at 10 metres, thats a reasonable increase over track day allowances. 

Yes the Exige 380 is noisy but the Titanium Exhausts on the 430 and also on some 410’s are noisier still 🤦🏻‍♂️.

Easy to hit 107db on a drive by ( aah )

Hi @Tex. 107 db drive by!!! Do you V6 boys ever get cautioned by the 'authorities'?  

Time for a new rear box?

I have the Komo-Tec 265 upgrade on my Elise Cup and have the Hangar 111 QT (Quiet Technology) silencer which I'm really pleased with. They also make this silencer for the V6 series cars, so i just checked out their website. This is their narrative on the product, which seems to offer the prospect of getting on track:

Our Signature “QT” (Quiet Technology) exhaust silencer for the V6-engined Exige and Evora models, has been developed to pass the increasingly stringent noise limits being imposed by track day operators.

During back-to-back testing on an Exige EX460 (460bhp), the silencer recorded drive-by sound level averages of appx 85dB at Brands Hatch, whilst the OEM silencer recorded 97dB (and was black flagged).  All tests were carried out with exhaust hot and scrutinised by the MSVT monitors.

Static sound levels recorded were 93dB and 96dB, respectively.  The EX460 spec Exige features less restrictive induction and manifold configuration, so standard cars produce even better results.

The sound level of the exhaust has not been achieved at the cost of power.  Flowbench testing against OEM and other silencers during development, the silencer is proven to flow sufficiently well to deliver the full power of our EX460 kit.

The silencer does not feature any loose-packing type material, so does not require re-packing. It is a direct replacement rear silencer and works with any manifold and link pipe combination. The twin round tailpipes have a diameter of 85mm, and feature perforated internals and machined tips.

Developed and produced from scratch to our own specifications, using bespoke parts, by our industry-accredited UK-based exhaust manufacturer.  This silencer has full E-type approval, and is road legal for use throughout Europe including Switzerland. As you can imagine we are quite proud of it!!

This silencer is now available for all vehicles with the Evora 400 type exhaust configuration - this includes Evora 400/410/430 and Exige 380/430 models.  During static testing, the exhaust noise level was reduced from 103dB with the OEM exhaust to 93dB using the QT silencer.

Please note that exhaust clamps supplied may differ from those shown depending on availability.

9 hours ago, Colin67 said:

Hi @Tex. 107 db drive by!!! Do you V6 boys ever get cautioned by the 'authorities'?  

Time for a new rear box?

I have the Komo-Tec 265 upgrade on my Elise Cup and have the Hangar 111 QT (Quiet Technology) silencer which I'm really pleased with. They also make this silencer for the V6 series cars, so i just checked out their website. This is their narrative on the product, which seems to offer the prospect of getting on track:

Our Signature “QT” (Quiet Technology) exhaust silencer for the V6-engined Exige and Evora models, has been developed to pass the increasingly stringent noise limits being imposed by track day operators.

During back-to-back testing on an Exige EX460 (460bhp), the silencer recorded drive-by sound level averages of appx 85dB at Brands Hatch, whilst the OEM silencer recorded 97dB (and was black flagged).  All tests were carried out with exhaust hot and scrutinised by the MSVT monitors.

Static sound levels recorded were 93dB and 96dB, respectively.  The EX460 spec Exige features less restrictive induction and manifold configuration, so standard cars produce even better results.

The sound level of the exhaust has not been achieved at the cost of power.  Flowbench testing against OEM and other silencers during development, the silencer is proven to flow sufficiently well to deliver the full power of our EX460 kit.

The silencer does not feature any loose-packing type material, so does not require re-packing. It is a direct replacement rear silencer and works with any manifold and link pipe combination. The twin round tailpipes have a diameter of 85mm, and feature perforated internals and machined tips.

Developed and produced from scratch to our own specifications, using bespoke parts, by our industry-accredited UK-based exhaust manufacturer.  This silencer has full E-type approval, and is road legal for use throughout Europe including Switzerland. As you can imagine we are quite proud of it!!

This silencer is now available for all vehicles with the Evora 400 type exhaust configuration - this includes Evora 400/410/430 and Exige 380/430 models.  During static testing, the exhaust noise level was reduced from 103dB with the OEM exhaust to 93dB using the QT silencer.

Please note that exhaust clamps supplied may differ from those shown depending on availability.

Thanks for the info Colin, and yes i imagine you have to short shift everywhere assuming you can get on the track in the first place 

it is unfortunately an issue that Lotus perpetuates by selling new Cars with fantastic sounding lightweight exhausts which are ok for road but not track . 

I have a standard factory Titanium one on so not really wanting to change that at the moment ( costs etc : ) . 

Morning Colin. So, where do all the rorty V6's go to play? Obviously you have to be very selective about track days then, limited to the usually high cost 'supercar' days maybe? Mind you there is always the Nordschleife. Never seen anyone with a noise meter there on any of my visits. 

1 hour ago, Colin67 said:

Morning Colin. So, where do all the rorty V6's go to play? Obviously you have to be very selective about track days then, limited to the usually high cost 'supercar' days maybe? Mind you there is always the Nordschleife. Never seen anyone with a noise meter there on any of my visits. 

Yes unfortunately and in addition the tracks that don’t do static tests like Silverstone and Donington. 

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, GFWilliams said:

Booked the 30th July at Snetterton :)

Not been before so excited to see what it’s like!

oo ooo  gonna love the bomb hole...  some fast corners, some tricky ones, and a frustrating one onto the straight...  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve just booked up for the 30th as well.

Have just arranged to collect a QT silencer from the Hangar 111 team son can actually get on circuit!

Hi @GER. That's the silencer design I have. For me, with the Elise 220 Cup its a little heavier than the lightweight Larini's/ 2bulars, but lighter than stock. Never had any noise problems on track so far, or any droning on the highways. I like the sound, which has matured nicely over the last 12 months or so that I've had it. I'll be at the LOT Spa track day on the 29th July so cannot make the Snetterton date.

@Colin67 have an epic time at Spa, I can’t wait to go back!

My exhaust is the Titanium one which I think might be the loudest OEM version. I popped a vid in the Picture thread.

I'm confident the Hangar 111 kit will get me through the Snet noise police. Got to keep the noise down for the Pigs (actual pigs in the fields - I’m local in Suffolk  )

• Like 2