Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 - Rear Hatch Release Catch - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 - Rear Hatch Release Catch

Hi all,

So the little spring in the catch just won't push the hatch up even a fraction after I've pulled the release cable resulting in many squashed fingers while trying to lift it! Once it's up a fraction the gas struts work a treat and lift it quite easily.

Is there a recognised mod. to improve the operation of the catch, do any catches from later models fit and do a better job? All I want it to do is pop up enough so I can get my fingers under and lift it!!!!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Steven.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve

Firstly the spring should have a rubber bump stop on the end of it which makes things worse if it's missing. Yes there is a mod. See this which came off someone on the Yahoo list. I don't know who although it's obviously a JPS car. If the owner who did this sees this post shout out! Also this Wiki stuff is foreign to me. Can anyone put this in there please?

Esprit_Hatch_Popper_Installation.pdf

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

I'm interested in this - tell me, do S1 and S2's have the same setup as the S3 N/A then? My two openers are erratic, and take what I consider to be way too much effort to close the hatch, and often don't spring properly when they open.

So I could use these and do away with those spring-pipes?

Richard

I'm not sure they do, and I believe there are differences across the S3's too. Later cars had a "recess" to help you pull the tailgate up whereas the early ones (like S1 & S2 don't). Not sure what you've got......

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Richard

I'm not sure they do, and I believe there are differences across the S3's too. Later cars had a "recess" to help you pull the tailgate up whereas the early ones (like S1 & S2 don't). Not sure what you've got......

I've got a pair of latches that the are activated by the boot release cable, and next to these, I have two tubes reaching down to the boot floor that contain spring loaded 'pushers' with rubber tips on the top. That sound like yours?

I have no recess at all. The later S3 recess always looked such a sensible idea :animier:

My S3 has the recessed area which does work well - problem is I'm on my third plastic tailgate release handle - this time the cable is still there intact, but the thread of the handle has disintegrated - rather than buy a "new" (but 20 year old cable and handle) and have refitted, does anyone know where I can get myself a new handle on it's own ? Or does anyone know of a aluminium/stainless alternative handle ?

Jonathan 85S3NA

My S3 has the recessed area which does work well - problem is I'm on my third plastic tailgate release handle - this time the cable is still there intact, but the thread of the handle has disintegrated - rather than buy a "new" (but 20 year old cable and handle) and have refitted, does anyone know where I can get myself a new handle on it's own ? Or does anyone know of a aluminium/stainless alternative handle ?

Jonathan 85S3NA

My S3 has a brass handle that looks like something off a kitchen cabinet, but it works, and is unlikely to rip off the threads.

Andy

• 9 years later...

I am restoring my Esprit S1.  Trying to fix the tailgate latch.  The strange thing is it latches perfectly without the spring and rubber bump stop.  When I install the spring and rubber stop, it no longer latches.  Neither does it pops up :(.

What can I do??  The link to the 'Hatch popper' no longer works.:(

• 5 years later...