Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Anybody Know Anything About Airbrushing? - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Anybody Know Anything About Airbrushing?

shawty_82

I bought myself practically the only current model of the White Star from Babylon 5, made by Warp Models. Top kit, but the paint-job looks like it could be a nitemare! Marbelling, colour fades....allsorts! Check the photo.

Basically, I want to know about airbrushing techniques to achieve what you see in the pic. I also need to know the best (reasonably priced) airbrush and compressor to go for. Any advice gratefully received!!

post-3476-1184037639.jpg

Edited by Tim Shaw

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi tim.

well airbrushing eh, im your man on that one, i know all the ins and outs im a fully trained graphic designer and i surpassed at airbrushing. i used to have a nice set of airbrushes mostly pasche ab turbo that could go finer than a hair width line, it sounded like a dentist drill in use.

as for airbrushes you are now spoilt for choice, i just bought a nice dual action brush off ebay very cheap, if you havent used one before i would take time to practice with it first.

i will pm you the sellers shop off ebay with the extras you will need, compressor, moisture trap and pressure regulator, but im sure he was doing a compressor with regulator and trap for about 49 quid so thats not bad at all.

if you want more info i will also pm you my number if you want to have a good chat about it, i can also reccomend some reading material that has tutorials, also reccomend materials and what you will need, frisk film, gouache paints, masking fluid, how to wet stretch the paper to perfect flatness etc. the list goes on but by the time i have gone through it all you will be ready to practice and get started.

heres mine

DSCN5380.jpg

DSCN4772.jpg

simon

the outside skin of a white star is semi-organic and is ment to slowly change colour as the ship matures.... I have used airbrushing in the past to get a graduated effect on the NCC1701D but found that the paint had to be thin to allow the overlay of a second colour without raising or bumping the paint too much.......... I found that an old biscuit tin makes a great practice tool for getting the viscosity and flow of the paint correct.

I bought myself practically the only current model of the White Star from Babylon 5, made by Warp Models. Top kit, but the paint-job looks like it could be a nitemare! Marbelling, colour fades....allsorts! Check the photo.

Basically, I want to know about airbrushing techniques to achieve what you see in the pic. I also need to know the best (reasonably priced) airbrush and compressor to go for. Any advice gratefully received!!

Hiya - you've just hit on two of my other passions (other than petrol!) - models and airbrushing! :thumbsup:

Whereabouts are you located?

My model site - ok - a little out of date - http://www.skywriters.net

In fact - I was up half the night yesterday airbrushing :blush:

Airbrush wise - depends upon how much you want to invest. I currendly have (in order of cost) an Aztec (plastic body and innovative 'heads' which combine needle and nozzle in differing sizes for different media) - relatively cheap - but you get what you pay for and I've never really got on with it.

Used to have a Paasche H external mix (first airbrush when I was about 10!) which gave some good results - but not really suitable for fine work.

Also had a DeVilbis Aerograph Sprite which was excellent results wise - but the plastic cup area a bear to clean.

Then I have two badgers - a 150 (dual action) and a 200 (single action) which are good medium spec brushes. Prices start around

Edited by Iain

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' and 1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 286,000 miles and counting!