Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Adjusting throttle - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Adjusting throttle

CharlieA

Hey guys\girls?!

Since this is my first Esprit, I don't have any good referance on how well it should perform.

I thought that I might be a tad low on power, struggling to reach 0.6 bars, and mostly on the top end.

First I was checking for boost leaks, but could not find anything around the carbs, hoses or anything.

Everything seems tight and nice.

Anyway, I have noticed earlier that the throttle cable is changed.

Had my 11 year old daughter in the car pushing the throttle to the bottom. The linkage was at that stage only 75% to it's end travel.

Did some small mods and voila we had the power I was missing. Easily going to 0.7 bars now with pretty brisk performance.

What a lovely car to drive!

I think this could be more common issue than we think, reccomend anyone to check it if you haven't.

Enjoy your saturday, stay clear of the germs :)

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A common issue is that the clamp (near the foot rest) on the side of the transmission tunnel sometimes lets the cable outer slip through a little.

This reduces the ability for the throttle peddle to fully open the carbs and is often thought to be cable stretch.

Worth a quick look if you're running out of adjustment at the carb end.

Andy.

14 hours ago, Smithy111 said:

Sounds like you might want to replace the throttle cable as if its stretched that much it may break now you've adjusted it. Very cheap and easy to do. 

Well, actually the throttle cable is brand new. But it seems it is too long. Suspecting it is the wrong cable.

He had done a little hack to make it work, but that hack didn't really work.

I have a neighbour which is an ex rally mechanic, we cut the cable and found a proper way to lock it in the other end.

Works perfectly now! Will post a picture of the fix later today.

13 hours ago, AndyPG said:

A common issue is that the clamp (near the foot rest) on the side of the transmission tunnel sometimes lets the cable outer slip through a little.

This reduces the ability for the throttle peddle to fully open the carbs and is often thought to be cable stretch.

Worth a quick look if you're running out of adjustment at the carb end.

Andy.

Will check to be sure! Thanks for the tip.

Hi Jarle,

Apparently, the cable adjustment nuts, at the engine end of the cable, should be set at roughly mid point adjustment.

Then the cable outer, at the footrest end, should be pulled through the little clamp to take out all the slack in the inner cable.

The clamp is then tightened down.

Then the engine end cable adjustment can be finalised to give the small amount of slack normally set in throttle cables.

Finally, the throttle pedal stop bolt should be adjusted so that the cable doesn't get over tensioned at full pedal travel.

If your little clamp is prone to slipping, you might need to improvise a mod.

Andy.