Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Small holes inside the throttle body? - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Small holes inside the throttle body?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Jukka,

I have no means of opening your .HEIC files so can't quite be sure what you mean. If I were to guess, it sounds like you are talking about the throttle body balance air bleeds and the metal bit is one of the needle adjustment screws.

They are just upstream of the butterfly at the top of the choke.

Certainly do not drill, and leave alone unless you want to enter the world of re-balancing your throttles.

Andy.

Edited by AndyPG

Hi Jukka,

Yes, it is exactly as I described in my previous message.

The metal "chip" as you call it, is the tip of the adjustment needle.

I can see you might have been proggling around as the aluminium is marked.

They are factory set so most owners don't tamper with them.

The adjustment screw heads are under metal anti-tamper caps on the opposite side of the body.

Sometimes the needle tip actually protrudes slightly out of the hole.

All depends on the adjustment position.

Andy.

• Like 1

Hi @Jukka a

@AndyPG is correct in that these are the balance air bleeds for the TB's. 

In the casting above the holes you will see a recess with a core plug type cap fitted ... under that is the adjuster screw..  In most cases on each TB one screw is fully in and the other slightly open to compensate for irregularities between the butterfly valve seats..   When i have tested these on rebuilds , i have found that the ones slightly open are fully blocked with crap , so required removal to clean..  as I usually have them vapor blasted , removal is a requirement , but resetting is an essential requirement to get the best balance .. 

Hope that helps   

• Like 1