Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Need recommendation for a shot blasting powder coating - Berkshire - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Need recommendation for a shot blasting powder coating - Berkshire

Peter H.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

I'd be interested in any good recommendations in this area too.

I've used Sprayblast Engineering in High Wycombe once before and despite the good reviews on Google I wasn't overly impressed with the quality of the powder coat finish. It was passable for the application in question but I'm not sure I'd be happy with the standard of finish on more visible suspension components.

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

Gentlemen,

Are you really sure that powder coating suspension components is a good idea?

The risk is that if a small stone hits and microscopically penetrates the coating, then moisture will creep in.

The consequence of that is that the corrosion will occur beneath the powder coating, an an insidious way where it can be neither seen nor cured.

Worse is the fact that the ensuing corrosion will simply creep along and spread under the coating.

The outcome of this is really quite frightening when an apparently perfect component suddenly fails .

The alternative approach is to have all the suspension components blasted and then re-plated as per original.

Yes the plating can be penetrated, but if that happens then the consequent corrosion can be seen and dealt with.

The cost is quite reasonable and there’s a company in Poole, Dorset who I use who will collect, process and drop off – Dorsetware www.dorsetware.com – but I suggest that it’s best to call them on 01202 677939 because they’ll talk you through the options and usually ‘do a deal’.

I should add that I have no connection with them other than being a many time customer.

As an alternative, this is a quote from a Pistonheads discussion this week: "You should try Mercury Electroplaters in Camberley, I kept on popping down there to get the parts for my V12 engine zinc plated, they did a great job and even chrome plated my rusty headlamp surrounds. They matched the Jag OEM zinc finish
Unit 7H, Bridge Trading Estate, GU15 2QR"

Front_Suspension_2cut.JPG