Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Exige 350 - Fluid Leak / Condensation - Should I be worried? - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Exige 350 - Fluid Leak / Condensation - Should I be worried?

Hello Everyone

I was cleaning the garage at the weekend and needed to move my car from one side to the other and my wife noticed there looked to be oil dripping every 10 seconds or so while the engine was running. I only had the engine running a couple of minutes and the car had not moved for a week prior.

Upon closer inspection it looks to be dirty water ratther than oil and I initially thought it was maybe pooled water on the undertray so managed to reach under and wipe it dry but as soon as I started the engine again it started to drip and pool on the edge of the undertray straight away. I managed to take a few pictures although as it is in the centre of the car between the 2 back wheels access it dificult but the drip is coming from above the undertray so hasn't just been laying there all week.

I have googled and sounds like it might be the slip joint but I don't have much mechanical knowledge. The car is under warranty and may get it booked it for a check over (only owned the car for 2 months) but my nearest Lotus dealer is around 40 minutes away and would hate to cause any damage driving it if it's not normal.

Many thanks for your help.

Russ

Exhaust 1.JPG

Drip.jpg

Dirty Water.JPG

Exhaust 2.JPG

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's soot mixed with water that's coming out when the exhaust is cold.  The exhaust gases condensate, mix with the soot and it drips out.

That doesn't cause any damage whatsoever.   Decent sport cats even have a "vent hole" for the condensate run out the same way.

That flex pipe however is prone to fail.  I would suggest you take it to the dealer as under warranty and have them rectify the situation.

Best case it is just the gasket between the Y-pipe and the aft exhaust section.  Might be cracked, missing or been reused after an exhaust swap (never do that).  "Worst" case it's indeed the flex section that failed and then you might need a nex Y-pipe or have an exhaust shop cut off the old section and weld on a new one.

It won't harm anything however.   My guess: flex pipe failed.

Edited by Kristof Thys

Thanks Kristof for your help.

I think you are right, I will jack the car up this weekend for a better look and get it booked in to be looked at. I will feel more confident driving the car to the Lotus dealer now.