Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Gasoline leak - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Gasoline leak

Hello everyone.  Weird thing happened the other day.  Took my 2017 Evora 400 (only 11k miles) for a flog, stopped and got gas, drove the 3 or so miles home and parked it in the garage. Came back out maybe 15 minutes later to take a video of my new GRP V4 lights and the garage smelled slightly of gas. I opened the trunk and saw liquid dripping off the underside of the hatch and noticed the fuel pressure sensor (the tan part) was popped off. I was able to push it back on at the top of the upside down T junction and it clicked into place.  However, it will separate again with just a little bit of hand pressure.  So it seems to be broken.  (Disregard the water everywhere - that was from me hosing the engine bay down to make sure the car didn't catch fire!)

I have spoken to my Lotus mechanics and they told me that the broken T junction fitting that the fuel pressure sensor fits into is not available as an individual part, that I will need to buy the entire fuel line, which is not cheap, not to mention the cost of replacing the entire fuel line. 

Does anyone know if that T fitting is a universal part that other car companies use?  The fuel pressure sensor itself appears to be something used in the Ford Focus and some LR3 and 4 Land Rovers but I can't seem to find a diagram showing what it fits into on those other cars.  Is there any other solution?  I could buy the whole fuel line and then cut out the portion with the T fitting, then cut out the broken one and replace it with the new section with the T.   Any advice would be appreciated!

20240615_153448.jpg

20240608_140234.jpg

Hi Suzuki

I am guessing that you are based in the USA. You may be lucky, from the description you have given it sounds like you may be able to just replace the sensor as an individual part.

Lotus Evora Fuel pressure sensor-kit - A132L6062S | Lotus Parts Online, Birmingham MI

I don't know if it can be found cheaper from other manufacturers.

From your pictures it looks like it is just a push fit into the fuel line and we can't see if there are other issues with your fuel line.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for the reply.  I had actually ordered that part, thinking it might solve my problem, but unfortunately when it showed up it is not the right part despite what the diagram shows.  The part in that diagram is literally just the sensor that the electrical connector plugs into, without any part of the black plastic cylinder below it, much less the T fitting.  I have gone through Lotus official USA parts person and that T fitting is not sold by itself.       

Looking at the Lotus parts online web site the diagram shows it as item 22 but their web page only scrolls down to item 18, which may be why your mechanics said that the full fuel line was required.

The DeRoure web site here in the UK does allow you to scroll down to item 22, which gave me the serial number of the part which allowed me to search the part on Lotus parts online.

edit: sorry just seen your previous post

Edited by mg4lotus
  • Like 1

I've got the series 1 and it doesn't have the fuel pressure sensor or the black housing. Is the pressure sensor a screw fit into the housing or is it a push fit? If its a push fit are the O rings in good condition?

When you pushed the sensor back into the black housing did it seal or was there any fuel still leaking out of it?

If there are no better solutions, maybe you could jury rig a fix using plastic zip ties to hold the sensor in the housing. It will only cost pennies.

I have actually thought about using zip ties!  But it's not worth the risk to me (the car is not my daily driver).  

When I pushed the black cylinder that the pressure sensor screws into back onto the T fitting, it seemed to seal but it could be popped right back off with very little effort, which it did, spewing gasoline throughout the engine bay again after I had started the car up for a little while and pressurized the fuel system.  See the service notes below for an idea of how the sensor is fitted etc.

Web capture_19-6-2024_181818_mail.yahoo.com.jpeg

If the black housing is separating from the T fitting, that doesn't sound right. On the parts diagram and service notes it looks like a single unit so I wouldn't try fixing it with zip ties. If it's a screw fitting you shouldn't be able to just push the sensor back in, it sounds like the thread may be stripped. Definitely get a new part. You may have to bite the bullet for the cost of the new pipe assembly.

You are correct - the T and the thicker black cylinder are apparently 1 piece but mine is currently 2 pieces unfortunately!  The fuel pressure sensor then screws into the that black cylinder as the service notes show. 

Sooooooo back to my original question: does anyone know of a replacement part for the T fitting which includes the thicker black tube on the top?