Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Maximum AC Charging Speed - Eletre & Emeya Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Maximum AC Charging Speed

KT LER

Hello all

Does anyone know what the maximum AC charging speed on Eletre is? I never seem to be able get over 7.1Kw AC when hooked up to our AC chargers at work (which are 22Kw and deliver this for Tesla’s). It made me think is the Eletre limited to 7ish Kw for AC and then 350Kw for DC?

Any help or thoughts would be great. 

You do need to use an appropriate (ie. 3 phase) Type 2 cable to get 11 or 22 kW.  But I would be surprised if Lotus didn't supply the correct cable with the car.

The type 2 cable that came with the car feels much more heavy duty than the one I had with my previous I-Pace - that car was limited to 7 or 11kW.  I've only charged the Eletre at a 22kW charger using the supplied type 2 cable once, and just checking back at the charging history - I was only charged for just over 5kW for the hour it was there, but that is not enough of a sample to have any confidence over knowing why that charging session was not faster.

I’ve charged in France on a 22kw AC point (at a supermarket). Worked fine. I have bought my own charging cable and explicitly selected one rated for 22kw (the primary reason was to have a longer cable for charging on the street at home in London so I can be in any one of the 2 spaces either side of the lamppost chargers)

Interesting @DMR31 as most lamppost chargers are rated at 3-5.5kw max due to existing constraints. So it was just for the extra cable length only then?

Most AC charging iirc is managed by the car, not the charging station, so it could be that the car to charger "handshake" detected an issue, maybe spikey delivery, or something else infrastructure related. Remember, the rating on the charger is no guarantee that the charger can operate at that level. Other factors like total load across the whole site etc. can have a significant impact. 

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Thank you all - the issue was the cable I was using. I kept the Lotus supplied cable at home on my charger and used my old BMWi8 cable to travel with which clearly isn’t rated to take 22Kw. 

Also collected my winter mats this week, they are tremendous quality and come in a HUGE pair of boxes. 

• Like 1