Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
V8 Rover Engine Conversion - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

V8 Rover Engine Conversion

Hi guys,

Another simple topic from me as always... anybody done a one of these to a stevens car or any Esprit, seems like it could be a cheap fix to get me on the road while I get mine re-built.

Any info on whats required IE.. engine box etc, what year Rover... estimated cost, manhours etc.etc.. would be much app. :)

Cheers

Ian

Im Brian and so is my wife

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

Another simple topic from me as always... anybody done a one of these to a stevens car or any Esprit, seems like it could be a cheap fix to get me on the road while I get mine re-built.

Any info on whats required IE.. engine box etc, what year Rover...  estimated cost, manhours etc.etc.. would be much app. :)

Cheers

Ian

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its OK guys I have my flameproof suit and goggles on just blast away.... :P

Mmm...

"Cheap fix"

Mmm...

You feeling OK Ian?

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Paul

Not really sure what the cost would be, thats why I posted to see if it is viable or whether its bollox, prob bollox, but its good to weigh up all he options, the engines out now and Ive been without my car now for over a month, Im really missing it now and this might be an option, just till I get my engine re built or till another engine goes in. at the minute I cant use it at all and cant really afford to be spending shitloads of cash this near to Christmas...

Cheers

Ian

Really not a practical option and SERIOUSLY not a cheap quick fix! The tubular chassis at the back and engine block would need work to make them cooperate thats without even considering what transaxle could fit in there and maet to the cylinder etc etc etc...

I was only saying it as a joke!!! :)

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

I'm Kinda assuming here...

But the V8 would of course need a pair of manifold to tail exhausts made to pass around the chassis and running gear, i'm not sure you can buy a pair to do the job. Front Engined Lotus such as the Excel/Eclat etc could have perhaps used an MGB V8 Manifold but i don't 'think' it would suit the Esprit.

Then you need to mate the gearbox to it too, and sort out the induction etc

I'm not sure it would be too quick a job to do, but i'm no expert.

I'd post this on PH asking whats involved as i've seen a few Esprit/Excels

at shows running rover V8's so there are guys out there that could help

with info. My guess is they will talk you out of it though.

It's the intention of putting it all back to normal again that

will make this an expensive option methinks. :)

I think there is a website out there somewhere by someone who has been doing this for some years iirc. (I THINK it was rover V8 he was sticking in a G Car - but it could have just been a Lotus one)

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

I think there is a website out there somewhere by someone who has been doing this for some years iirc. (I THINK it was  rover V8 he was sticking in a G Car - but it could have just been a Lotus one)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's the Lotus V8 he's using, NOT the cheap option for Ian :)

http://www.projectm71.com/

Really not a practical option and SERIOUSLY not a cheap quick fix! The tubular chassis at the back and engine block would need work to make them cooperate thats without even considering what transaxle could fit in there and maet to the cylinder etc etc etc...

I was only saying it as a joke!!! :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

mmm bit of mulling over to do... have about 3 options to go at, will have to send our lass down to the docks... again... :)

then again I could end up owing money out.. :P

Ian

Ian,

I was wondering Whats wrong with your engine?

mat

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Mat

2 pots are bolloxed pistons, liners, rings also coolant contamination around all of the bottom end, thats just what I know could be more..

Ian

Oh only just noticed this, when mine went pop I serriously looked into this possability with the donnor of the 5littre tvr rover V8 any way after just a few considerations the price had allready outgrown my estimated rebuild costs so i put it back with the original engine.

There was that europa at donnington that had a chevy unit in it might be worth tracking him down and having a chat would of considered a lot of things you would have to take into consideration!!

Edited by Splashout

Yes but he was a deranged, lunatic, genius mechanic who did it all himself and it was very similar to a GT40 power setup in an S2 Europa!!!!

Cross over exhausts out of the V8 and everything!!! :blink: