Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
89 SE NGK SPARK PLUG Questions. - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

89 SE NGK SPARK PLUG Questions.

THECARREAPER

hello all, i have had my 1989 SE now for one week, and am waiting for the power window motor to come in today.

while i have some down time, i am going to order new spark plugs, and perhaps replace the fuel injectors.

both the receipts and manuals i have for the car show a NGK plug NGKBPR6EKN.

as best as i can tell from NGK's website that shows a detailed breakdown of all these plugs, these "EKN" plugs are nothing special except they have several ground electrodes.

link : http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spar...rtnumberkey.pdf

i would like to know if its ok to use standard NGKBP6ES, NON Resistor type plugs, or shall i find NGKBPR6ES plugs?

i did use the "search" feature, and read the Iridium threads. i am unsure if they are worth the expense at this point.

any advice would be great!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

IMHO - the most power gain you get from a plug is by putting in a new one, not by 'upgrading' to Iridium or such.

The EKN uses two side ground electrodes - which expose the combustion better to cavity (the standard strap partially blocks it). Tricks we used a while back - called 'side-gapping' - where you cut the stanard electrode back - so the tip was exposed and the spark went from the edge of the cut electrode to the tip.

If you use a different design - two issues:

- I have no idea what the proper gap would be

- don't know how much clearance there is from the tip to the piston

- why mess with it?

I justed swapped mine Saturday night - $3.98 each from Advance Auto Parts.

Edited by Quikr

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

Thank you so much. i will see if they have the correct ones. i went to two other places and picked up the Iridiums because it was all they had. i think the OEM plugs are the way to go.

Edited by Tentenths
Removed quote

Thank you so much. i will see if they have the correct ones. i went to two other places and picked up the Iridiums because it was all they had. i think the OEM plugs are the way to go.

the proper gap as i have learnt has to be 1 mm

it's hard to do because of the dual electrodes

gr Rens

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing

shall i assume the EKN versions come already gapped to .040? it sems the iridiums i purchased are .035 out of the box. i have some vacation time to play with the Lotus and my 911, so i will be off to parts store when the morning fog clears up a bit.

shall i assume the EKN versions come already gapped to .040? it sems the iridiums i purchased are .035 out of the box. i have some vacation time to play with the Lotus and my 911, so i will be off to parts store when the morning fog clears up a bit.

you will have to gap them as stated on the outside of the box

nobody read's anymore nowdays :welcome:

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing

you will have to gap them as stated on the outside of the box

nobody read's anymore nowdays :welcome:

:welcome:

mine dont say anything on them in English, and i dont read Japanese. i did buy the whole box though, as i like to have spare for my cars!

by the way, the Advance Auto Parts stock number is the "1128". that is how your order them, as they had problems finding them in the computer by the NGKBPR6EKN part number.

post-785-1191968367.jpg