Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rusty coil pack nipples - Removable? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Rusty coil pack nipples - Removable?

tarcus

Hello peeps, my HT coil pack has a rusty nipple where a plug lead was pulled off slightly allowing moisture in over a long period of time. I have put some pliars on it and given it a twist but it didn't want to budge, and I didn't want to force the issue in case I damaged the coil pack. Does anyone know if these nipples (which should be the same as those on the plugs) can be removed and replaced? I don't want to replace the whole pack just for a rusty nipple.

I can of course try to clean it, which I will do, but I'd rather get a new one if they can be taken off. The parts manual shows the whole coil pack as a one-piece item.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest teigan

don't twist those (dare i say) nipples. you can use electronic contact cleaner to slowly remove all the corrosion. it won't be a smooth surface anymore due to some of the metal having left as rust, but it'll work dwell enough.

Edited by Bibs

It's the lack of smooth surface that I'm concerned about as it reduces the contact area, on a contact joint like plug leads you need as much contact as possible between the two surfaces. I'll be attacking it with contact cleaner this weekend but would prefer to replace it. If you or anyone else knows how to replace the nipples I'd be most grateful for a pointer.

Guest teigan

with high voltages, the contact area isn't that crucial. even a multimeter wouldn't show the difference. the exception would be cases of extreme decay. seems to me you spotted the oxidation soon enough. if only we all had replacable nipples.

With high voltages you get sparks jumping across gaps (which is after all the idea of the high voltage in this case!) which makes the uneven surface worse, so really I'd like to replace the nipple with a new one if I can get the thing off. I'll phone a friendly mechanic or two and see if I can get some advice.