Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Technical Question relating to the Engine Cover - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Technical Question relating to the Engine Cover

waynef

I was wondering if anyone knew if it is safe to either remove or to modify the Engine Cover on an Esprit S4.

My car is currently in the body shop having a complete respray and I have had some clear (Transparent) grills made to replace the standard body colour ones. The idea is to be able to see the engine through the rear boot lid without changing the original asthetics of the car. However the engine cover hides the engine. I'm not sure if by cutting two holes in this if i'll disrupt cooling or breathing to the engine.

Feed back would be most welcome

Waynef

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I find the shape is designed to provide the ventilation and removal of hot air required and also drainage of rain water.

I do find however that the water will drain right onto No1 cylinder exhaust manifold outlet and this corrodes quicker than the rest. I suspect this is the cause of many of the manifold gaskets failing and the resultant 'ticking'. It was on mine previously and it is the most corroded now.

Removing it doesn't seem to be a big deal, a few chaps in I have spoken to on the forums have removed theirs with no ill effects.

If it does stop any oil/water/muck from the road splashing inside the boot then you will find out about it sooner I expect.

I am waiting for someone to knock up a carbon one as the original is too heavy and I strain my back every time I lift it out!!!

edited to add, I have modified mine slightly, enlarging the cooling holes slightly, rounded off edges that were sharp, repairing and generally tarting it up a bit

Edited by DBredS4

I dont run one on the GT2 for obvious reasons but I do have the ducts still functional via pipes.

One duct blows onto the manifold area and the other onto the turbo - the rest imo is just a way to neaten it up and provide some rain cover protection.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

have mine hanging in the garage for the past couple of years. Only put it on when i wash the car or if i think it might rain. Besides the increased noise I haven't noted any differences in performance or operating temps. Seems like a good bit of weight reduction as well. I also run without a trunk floor again with no ill effects noted.

erm see through vents,,,,hellooo

how much? and where from?

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

Hey Karl

The vents have been moulded from my originals using a clear resin. They have come out absolutely perfect and are completely transparent with no yellowing.

My car should be ready in about three weeks so i'll let you see it when complete. I guess the modifying bug got to me in the end.

Depending on how the covers fair up I may well get my chappy at the body shop to knock up some more but before doing this i'd rather test them for a few months, if you get what I mean.

Well my car is staying red but has a gold fleck metallic in it, can't wait for it to be finished.

Waynef

The only ill benefit from removing the engine cover would be that engine fumes can then get in the boot, as the rubber seal keeps it sealed to the hatch.

If you don't plan on putting anything fabric in the boot that could absorb the odors, I don't see it causing much harm....

erm see through vents,,,,hellooo

how much? and where from?

Hi Karl

the guy at my body shop is fabricating a couple of injected mould clear plastic grills for my Esprit. If you are seriously interested get back and i'll get a couple more knocked up.

My car is being sprayed right now in Rosso Red with the gold (Same as the Ferrari F1 cars) starting to look awesome.

Waynef

I was wondering if anyone knew if it is safe to either remove or to modify the Engine Cover on an Esprit S4.

My car is currently in the body shop having a complete respray and I have had some clear (Transparent) grills made to replace the standard body colour ones. The idea is to be able to see the engine through the rear boot lid without changing the original asthetics of the car. However the engine cover hides the engine. I'm not sure if by cutting two holes in this if i'll disrupt cooling or breathing to the engine.

Feed back would be most welcome

Waynef

mmm, that must be looking nice indeed ; post some pics when you have it :getmecoat:

What about pricing, was it ok or more on the expensive side ?

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -