Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
BLACK BADGES - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

BLACK BADGES

It seems various folks have told me that the first 'Black Badges' were the result of Clark's death. I never knew if it was true or legend...

But I think that based on the above, it maight have gone like this:

Clark dies... Black Badges are ordered... but in bulk for the sake of cost...so badges were used beyong the year of Clark's death...until the supply ended...then someone else dies and the cycle gets started again...

As for my badge... it is oval in shape and green and gold. The steering wheel center is black and silver...

So, in no specific order... There is the following I know of -

Round Green and Yellow

Triangle Green and Yellow

Round Black and Silver

Round Black and Gold

Triangle Black and Silver

Oval Green and Gold

Drive topless!!!

Cameron

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this one on ebay ,,,

I do not thinks it is original but looks cool.

:fun::lol::unworthy:

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

It seems various folks have told me that the first 'Black Badges' were the result of Clark's death. I never knew if it was true or legend...

But I think that based on the above, it maight have gone like this:

Clark dies... Black Badges are ordered... but in bulk for the sake of cost...so badges were used beyong the year of Clark's death...until the supply ended...then someone else dies and the cycle gets started again...

As for my badge... it is oval in shape and green and gold. The steering wheel center is black and silver...

So, in no specific order... There is the following I know of -

Round Green and Yellow

Triangle Green and Yellow

Round Black and Silver

Round Black and Gold

Triangle Black and Silver

Oval Green and Gold

Drive topless!!!

Cameron

I believe the oval badges were a re-design used in the GM era, but was reverted back to the trditional badge sometime later because it was thought the oval badge did not have the same impact. As for the triangular badges.... I have no idea...!

Regards

Nick

Mike Kimberley's 'Can Do' Trim Guru

The Oval badge was designed for Mr Wickens of BCA when he bought the company in 1984. This badge was totally ACBC-less and nearly forced MJK to resign as he was totally against it. Itwasn't until the end of 1985/early 1986 that Dad had it redesigned to incorporate the ACBC Logo at the top.....totally behind the back of the new Chairman.

Henearly lost his job over this as Mr Wickens was not very happy!

It was a further year, possibly 2 (he can't remember exactly) that he managed to change it all the way back after GM took over.

As such these badges are quite rare (especially the 1984 one) and make very good money, especially if you have a car from these era's and want it original.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Found this one on ebay ,,,

I do not thinks it is original but looks cool.

I have the perfect smilie for that, sorry!

:fun:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

I have the perfect smilie for that, sorry!

:fun:

The Union Jack badge was created by a dealership as I understand it... sorry, cannot recall the entire story on this one, but it seems it was done in the early 90's? Be good if you have the roof panel painted up with the Union Jack... bit like Austin Powers! hahaha...

Cameron

Edited by Autocross7

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

A trick my brother used to use on yelow or green Lotus cars that came in for re-spray was to carefully chip out the appropriate colour, and re-fill with the colour the car was re-sprayed, that way they had no clash of yellow or green.

That may well happen on the Europa.

Oh, maybe on the Excel as well, hadn't thought about the fact it's green.

Andy