Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
V8 GT rattle - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

V8 GT rattle

Hi people, has anyone had this problem? On cold start my V8 GT has a nasty rattle until it warms up. It sounds more like a chain rattling than tappit rattle, poss from the top end? If anyone can shed any light on this I would be very greatful. Cheers, Mike.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM
Hi people, has anyone had this problem? On cold start my V8 GT has a nasty rattle until it warms up. It sounds more like a chain rattling than tappit rattle, poss from the top end? If anyone can shed any light on this I would be very greatful. Cheers, Mike.

the only chain in your engine is the one between crank and intermediate shaft (with the oil pump assembly and timing belt wheels)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Have you already ruled out heatshields? Mine had a similar rattle when I got it. Turned out that one of the heatshield bolts had loosened, which caused it to rattle until the shield expanded as the engine came up to temp.

Have you already ruled out heatshields? Mine had a similar rattle when I got it. Turned out that one of the heatshield bolts had loosened, which caused it to rattle until the shield expanded as the engine came up to temp.

I'll check it out cheers thanks, Mike

• 4 weeks later...

I had a similar noise. Checked the heat shields and anything else that I though it could be. In the end it turned out to be the chain on the intermediate shaft. This has a pair of metal guide shoes that had slackened off, hence my rattle. Oddly enough it was only evident when the oil was cold and the car on tick over, revved or with a warm engine and the noise wasn't there.

Stuart.

Driving Automotive Aristocracy Since 2004