Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Why does a GT3 not have one of these? - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Why does a GT3 not have one of these?

On the Aussie esprit web site parts section they list a spacer to replace an exhaust back pressure valve, see quote below

"All fuel injected 4 cylinder Esprits (but the GT3) feature the famous Exhaust Back Pressure Valve. The Australian made stainless improved spacer offered here will replace the valve by filling the gap. When you remove your EBPV and replace it with this spacer."

Why did the GT3 not have one of these fitted? And what was its purpose on the other 4 pot fuel injected esprits?

Cheers

Alex

website link http://www.lotusesprit.com.au/parts.htm

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a way to warm up the cat quicker. Perhpas the GT3, being the most modern 4-Cylinder, had a better cat or perhaps it was only sold in counties with looser emissions requirements.

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

Yeah the quicker it warmed up the faster it starts to work.

GT3 was the Esprit on a diet so they opted to leave it off and all it's control gear - I think the flap was on there originally to meet emission regulations but it always jams up and fails - the one on the GT2 was rusted 1/2 SHUT lol.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Hi All,

Yes its the country/market thing. The GT3 was only available in markets where this feature was not necessary to pass the emission tests.

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

Its a way to warm up the cat quicker. Perhpas the GT3, being the most modern 4-Cylinder, had a better cat or perhaps it was only sold in counties with looser emissions requirements.

Marcus

Yes, done it on the SE.

My suggestion though is to buy an extender - cut the flange off the exhaust muffler and put the pipe extender in to allow the coupling to meet.

MUCH less hassle and loads less leakings.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

JFYI guys, the GT3 that came to Australia wasn't the smaller 2.0ltr engine, but the S4S engine.

Don't think it makes any difference to the EBPV but it also means it will definitely fit S4's, S4S's & I assume SE's. :)

Yes, done it on the SE.

My suggestion though is to buy an extender - cut the flange off the exhaust muffler and put the pipe extender in to allow the coupling to meet.

MUCH less hassle and loads less leakings.

Unless of course you have to smog your car every two years, and a quick peek underneath could mean you will fail the visual inspection.