Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Found replacement aerial for S3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Found replacement aerial for S3

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here it is. It's sold by http://www.aerpro.com.au and is part number AP22.

Looks right, is smaller than the original so should be easier to install.

Price was $79.95 AUD.

Dave Everett

Hi Dave

Looks good, but what is the total length of everything under the guard

Cheers..............xisab

Also available from this Ebay seller - clicky

I have it on good authority that one of our UK members ordered one earlier in the week. I'm sure he'll report back in due course :wacko:

Brilliant - I've been wondering where I was going to get one. Thanks James...

Hi Dave

Looks good, but what is the total length of everything under the guard

Cheers..............xisab

300mm, the same as the original. I started fitting it tonight, so I'll be able to tell you tomorrow if it fits properly.

Dave

It fits!

I removed the semicircular bracket piece from the top of the aerial and it screws in just right.

The grounding strap is no longer used and the bracket is also discarded. The new aerial has a ground wire which can be screwed directly to the point the old aerial strap was connected.

The aerial sticks out away from the car at an angle of about 3 degrees.

Dave Everett

Great news.

I've ordered one from Hong Kong - See James (Tentenths) post.

I'll let you know how I get on but it might be quite a while before I try to fit it because I'm told that in very early Turbo's (like the Essex) it apparently sits in the front wing hence it needs the driver's door to come off before I can fit it.

Bazza

Great news Davo... :)

I will now .. start pulling Gcar apart ... with confidence .

Where did you eventually get the aerial from ?.... just in case my new one dont really fit ?

Thanks

Pomoz

Gday Bazza

Yes...... I believe you really have to pull 3/4 of the early Gcar apart to change the aerial... :)

Any thought of repositioning the aerial to the rear of the car ?

Be handy if you were going to paint the Gcar in the near future

Pomoz

Cough Cough Im Off

Great news Davo... :)

I will now .. start pulling Gcar apart ... with confidence .

Where did you eventually get the aerial from ?.... just in case my new one dont really fit ?

I got it from Super Cheap Auto. You should be able to order it through them if they don't have it in stock, or get it cheaper direct from AerPro. For example, an aerial that Aerpro quoted as $99 was $119 from SCA.

Also I found with a bit more wiggling, I got the aerial to go straight up and down. One thing, you will need to buy some hose for the drain as the one supplied and the old one will now be about 20mm too short. I bought 500mm for $1.75 at a local rubber supplier.

Also I removed the aerial relay under the glovebox as it is quite unnecessary. I assume the aerial override switch just retracts the aerial which is easy to wire to break the aerial signal line. So I'm confused why there was a relay in the system.

Dave Everett

Hi Davo

Thanks for the advice ... re: obtaining aerial

I too was a bit miffed regarding the aerial overide switch

Now lets see ...... under the steering wheel below dash ... has yours got a a switch .....

That i think from memory ..... AERIAL OVERIDE ??? on it ?

Is this what you meant ?? .......

It seems that the PO said that he took the relay out overide as the aerial was going up though not down or vica versa or kept going up and down forget as it was in 2002.

Id be interested to know if this switch is as it is or now can be redundant

So aerial straight to cd/radio.... like nice cars .

Regards

Pomoz

Cough Cough Im Off

Hi Davo

Thanks for the advice ... re: obtaining aerial

I too was a bit miffed regarding the aerial overide switch

Now lets see ...... under the steering wheel below dash ... has yours got a a switch .....

That i think from memory ..... AERIAL OVERIDE ??? on it ?

Yes that's the one mate. My assumption is it's to restract the aerial at high speed while keeping the radio on.

So aerial straight to cd/radio.... like nice cars .

Regards

Pomoz

That's it, with the green wire being interrupted by the override switch to manually retract the aerial at high speed.

Dave