Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Car died :( - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Car died :(

S3mon

For a few weeks, my esprit was having trouble starting, very lazy turning over until the engine finally fired and then it ran ok. I also heard a belt slipping on revving.

Driving this afternooon the ignition light was on, i noticed the volt guage was going down all the way home. then just as i pulled up to my house the car died completely. Had to get someone to push me as I did a parallel park - not fun when you are blocking a tram line.

So what should I check first? the belt? replacing the whole alternator? What sort of a job is it to do. I dont mind having a go myself if its not overly complicated.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bearing in mind the slipping noise sound I'd check the alternator drive belt tension first. If it is loose it's a far easier job if you have a helper to use a pry bar on the alternator to get the tension while you torque up the bolts. If it's the alternator they're fiddly to change, but doable.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Simon as Mat says tighten the belt first, I would also charge the battery fully.

Its possible if the belts slipping it will not have kept the charge.

If still a problem check the output from the alternator, Trev.

logo_01-2.jpg

mmm tis easy enough to change an alternator, but you do need a helper when tensioning the belt.

I think i remeber correctly, that if you hook a voltmeter across the battery when your car is running it should read about 15volts (?) to show its charging?

OK, I tested with a voltmeter and it showed 12volts with both engine running and off. belt wasn't slipping at all.

Is there a guide to replacing the alternator then? I have a helper :shock: for tensioning the belt, but the service manual i have doesn't seem to mention replacing the alternator at all.

thanks

simon

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

Hi if u only get 12 volts most likly your voltage reg has popped and is easy to replace ,it is the little black box facing u on the back of the alternator if it is a motorola,be careful not to mix the wires on reinstalation as u can pop the alernators rectifier.

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

Its not technically demanding at all. There is a big "hinge" bolt that the alternator mounts on and swivels to adjust tension. There's a second bolt that locks onto a bracket for locking in place once tension is acheived. Sounds simple, however the pain as always with Esprits is accessing everything. You might have to remove various ancillaries to make more space. When I did mine I removed the air intake box and trumpets onto the carbs, and it made the job a lot easier.

Other potential issue maybe the alternator itself. I believe a direct replacement is not available. There are a large number of aftermarket that bolt straight on, but I believe the wiring loom connector may not be compatible, so you may have to hack around the connections a little.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ahha, I have returned to this problem after a couple of weeks away.

So in the cold light of day, I fire up the engine, and notice that there is no slipping sound. But more importantly - the fan on the alternator is not going round...... In fact. I can't even find the belt attached to the alternator at all!

I suspect I may have found the problem.

Does anyone have a diagram of how this belt is supposed to be fitted? Its not in the most visible place from the street or standing on the gearbox

On a non-aircon car, there are two grooves in the crankshaft pulley. One is for the waterpump drive belt, and the other is for the alternator belt. Slacken off the alternator adjustment bracket until it droops as close to the engine block as you can get it, then fit the new belt over the crankshaft pulley and over the alternator pulley...you may have to turn the engine to get the belt to wind itself over the pulley..this can be done with a spanner on the crankshaft pulley nut or by enlisting a helper, jacking up one rear wheel and engaging top gear, then get your helper to turn the wheel. You may well find it doesn't need this and you can just fit the belt over the pulleys. Then use a suitable lever to ease the altenator away from the block and tighten the adjustment and hinge bolt...all done!! At this point you should have a functional charging system once more. Probably worth having a look at the waterpump belt as well, it could well be the same age as the alternator belt and on the cusp of failure. Changing that is a bit more of a hassle as there is no adjustment, and the belt must be wound on by turning the engine whilst risking fingers to push the belt on as far as possible, with the final getting-it-over-the-pulley bit being done by turning the engine. All of this will probably mean laying on the carburetters and getting bruises to your chest...welcome to the Lotus Position!! Good luck!!!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Simon,

I order a lot of (spare)parts at van der Kooi Sportscars (tel: +31 (0573) 255933). I'm completly satisfied with them. Where do you live in Holland. I live in Vlissingen/Flushing.

Freek

Esprit Freak