2.2l 912 into S1?

yamaha_rd500v4

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea!

Sound like a job for Hilly - if he can get a 4.2 Audi V8 into an Esprit S3 then i am sure he could get a 2.2 into S1!

I will e-mail Brian Angus (development at lotus) he will know!

Brian Angus e-mailed, let you know when i have heard!

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

It should go straight in as the blocks are the same, the 2.2 just had a longer stroke crank.

A couple of things worth checking are the sump (not sure if it was reversed for the Eclat chassis) and the exhaust manifold may have been different.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

Yeap, good point, the water pump is also different.

From what I can tell from pictures doing a quick Google (it really is your friend) the sump is the same, but the engine mounts are different to the Esprit.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

Thanks for advice, Baiscally my 907 needs a full rebuild, which I will do at some stage, in the meantime theres a 2.2 elite nearby pretty much abandoned, if theres a reasonable chance the engine would go in I'll make some enquires about it.

When you say engine mounts are different, I presume they just unbolt from the 907 and fit the 912, or are the blocks slightly different?

Thanks

Yeah, what Hilly and Andy said.

You should be fine if you use the 2.2 engine itself and whenever the parts from the Elite and Esprit are different, just swap the Esprit's parts onto it. The "arms" or brackets for the motor mounts that bolt directly to the block might be different, but they still use the same three bolts in the same three holes on the block.

IIRC, the Turbo Esprit has a different water pump than the early Esprits that pumps more volume; verify this and use a TE water pump if it is true.

I put a 2.0 from an Eclat into my red S1, and used the water pump from my Esprit (supposedly a TE water pump). I had to file a little bit off of the neck of the pump because it interfered with the head. No big deal.

- T

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Indeed, it is all possible. I have install now an 912S engine in mine, it have the later sump but still it fits nicely.

The water pump included the wheel you must use is from a later Esprit, better cooling.

Cheers,

Jean

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

I don't know -- I kept as much the same as possible -- swapped a 2.0 for a 2.0 and transferred the water pump from one to the other. I never used a "stock" S1 water pump; from day one, I used what the U.S. vendors said was specific for the TE.

- T

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

In other words -- yes, it's that easy, go and do the 2.2 transplant! :devil:

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Hi all,

I guess the natural next question is will the good old Citroen gearbox cope with the extra few horses and extra torque from the 2.2L engine??

Cheers,

Steven.

s3 Turbos used the Citroen 'box 210bhp but it can take more.

The 2.0 Esprit & Elite/Eclat engines had different cams IIRC but no idea it the 2.2s differ.

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

In other words -- yes, it's that easy, go and do the 2.2 transplant! :devil:

When I have enough pictures I will report the install of mine and when the winter is over I can tell you more about the difference in power. But it is an HC and...... later.

Cheers,

Jean