Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
First time buyer - Introductions - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

First time buyer

wannabuyone

Hello all;

I'm a long time BMW enthusiast who recently got the Esprit bug after selling my 2001 M3. I'm having trouble finding facts on this car online. Are there any significant differences or similarities that I can look forward to? Also, what type of maintenance can I expect on a low mileage unit of this year. Any input would be appreciated.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jacob welcome to the forum, theres is plenty of info for you to read up on out there. Follow the linkys below that advertise Lotus Esprit world, Fact File etc.. It will give you an idea of running costs and what model Esprit would suit you most. Any particular model you like? They are all pretty special...but I would say that :lol:

350.gifNo.23

Although I'm a newbie here as well, I'd like to chime in...

The M series of cars have an extremely strong and faithful following. I've personally never owned one (although I do own an M, just made by Infiniti :-) ), however I have a number of friends who have owned everything from very old ones to high powered drop tops with turbo chargers. The things about the M3 is if you drive around for an hour or two, you're bound to run into someone else who has one... even worse you'll see your cars clone running around town from time to time. I don't think you'll ever get that with the Esprit. Exclusivity has always been a major factor in my buying decision, and with less than 10,500 total Esprits made EVER (over 28 years of production), compared to something like 40,000 M3's (E46 between 2001 and 2006) it's not a car you're going to see around a lot, and that's a big deal. The limited production run almost assures your cars value will be retained (how much was your M3 new, how much did you sell it for...?) and you'll have a true SUPERcar that will provide more fun and more character than any M3 ever, even the new V8.

Some great sites to check out:

www.lotusespritworld.com

www.espritfactfile.com

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

hello, i have owned several bmw's (preffered th 5 series though) what i can say is that the esprit is much higher on the smile factor & on the f*ck im walking to it and driving it when you leave the petrol counter. also i think that from the 90's onwards the bmw drivers have slipped into the everyone has one or has had one league and they now have a bad rep as people went mad on the larger alloys etc. so i think the m series (although great cars) has also suffered from the boy racer image. (thats one of teh reasons why i stopped driving them)

only had my s4 for a couple of months, but love it

all the best

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Hi Jacob welcome to the forum, theres is plenty of info for you to read up on out there. Follow the linkys below that advertise Lotus Esprit world, Fact File etc.. It will give you an idea of running costs and what model Esprit would suit you most. Any particular model you like? They are all pretty special...but I would say that :lol:

Thanks Very much for the help. It's a big change from the Beemer world!

Hi Jacob

Whichever one you finally decide on, remember that these cars like to be driven.

Ultra low mileage garage queens may have issues from not being used.

Understood. I'm looking at a couple of '01 Esprits with about 22,000 miles. They look and drive nicley, but was wondering if there were some standard issues with the breed.

Although I'm a newbie here as well, I'd like to chime in...

The M series of cars have an extremely strong and faithful following. I've personally never owned one (although I do own an M, just made by Infiniti :-) ), however I have a number of friends who have owned everything from very old ones to high powered drop tops with turbo chargers. The things about the M3 is if you drive around for an hour or two, you're bound to run into someone else who has one... even worse you'll see your cars clone running around town from time to time. I don't think you'll ever get that with the Esprit. Exclusivity has always been a major factor in my buying decision, and with less than 10,500 total Esprits made EVER (over 28 years of production), compared to something like 40,000 M3's (E46 between 2001 and 2006) it's not a car you're going to see around a lot, and that's a big deal. The limited production run almost assures your cars value will be retained (how much was your M3 new, how much did you sell it for...?) and you'll have a true SUPERcar that will provide more fun and more character than any M3 ever, even the new V8.

Outstanding info, thanks. Yeah, the reason I finally sold the M is beacuse i'm too old to be challenged by every kid in a Mitsubishi to a street race! I've owned 7 BMWs and they are an engineering marvel. I watch a show from the BBC called Top Gear, and that's where my interest in the Esprit was born. Thanks for the info. I'll post pics once a purchase is made.

Some great sites to check out:

www.lotusespritworld.com

www.espritfactfile.com

Thanks for the input. It's a big change, but i'm looking forward to it.

Hi Jacob, welcome to the forum :lol:

where abouts in the world are you? could you add it to your details, nearest major city/town will do and of course, the country :lol:

Edited by Dodgy

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)