Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
So I test drove a V8... - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

So I test drove a V8...

I drove a '02 Esprit V8 with 18k miles today. As some of you may remember, I was trying to decide between a S4s and a 964 911 turbo 3.6. Well after giving it some thought, I felt that I would not be happy with the lack of torque of the 4 cyl off boost. So now it's between a V8 Esprit and a 911 turbo.

Some things that I noticed first about the Esprit. Very wicked stance. Very low, sexy roof line. Awesome leather everywhere. Although it doesn't seem to be built as solid as the 911. During the drive; loads of power. The car holds on the road and does not let go. Brakes lack feel but were very good. Ride was a little rough. I loved the car but there was one thing I didn't like and I'm wondering if this is normal.

While shifting under heavy acceleration, it seemed like the whole car shook. Also during said shifting there was a loud rattle from behind he passenger compartment. Is this normal?

Also right behind the shifter in the center counsel, there was a button and a dial. What is this for.

How do I know if the car has a high torque ECU installed. And Lastly, how much of an improvement in performance will you get by removing the cats and muffler and installing straight pipes.

Thanks in advance.

'03.5 Final Edition Esprit ~ 5.7lbs/hp

mildly modded - 430rwhp, 353rwtq

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also right behind the shifter in the center counsel, there was a button and a dial. What is this for.

Button is the fuel filler flap release and the dial is to dim the dial lights.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

I drove a '02 Esprit V8 with 18k miles today. As some of you may remember, I was trying to decide between a S4s and a 964 911 turbo 3.6. Well after giving it some thought, I felt that I would not be happy with the lack of torque of the 4 cyl off boost. So now it's between a V8 Esprit and a 911 turbo.

Some things that I noticed first about the Esprit. Very wicked stance. Very low, sexy roof line. Awesome leather everywhere. Although it doesn't seem to be built as solid as the 911. During the drive; loads of power. The car holds on the road and does not let go. Brakes lack feel but were very good. Ride was a little rough. I loved the car but there was one thing I didn't like and I'm wondering if this is normal.

While shifting under heavy acceleration, it seemed like the whole car shook. Also during said shifting there was a loud rattle from behind he passenger compartment. Is this normal?

How do I know if the car has a high torque ECU installed. And Lastly, how much of an improvement in performance will you get by removing the cats and muffler and installing straight pipes.

Thanks in advance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can add high flow cats or remove and add straight pipes all together. Either will make an improvement. The lotus cats are heavy and restrictive so add high flows at the very least. Many have done this with proven additional performance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Loud rattles are not normal. You should get this checked out. Regarding the car shaking.. not sure what you mean here. Maybe test drive a few other esprits and see how they feel in comparison?

I find that went upshifting under heavy acceleration, especially between 2 and 3 with the boost pressure up you have to dip the clutch far more than you would normally have to under more gentle acceleration. Not sure why you have to do this.... maybe someone else can explain, or maybe my car's just mad.

EspritMiltonKeynes - ironically now lives in Edinburgh London (SE4)

Hi

On my S4s the button is the overide for opening the windows in case they are frosted iced up etc ,and the rocker switch is for the fuel fill caps But of course i dont know about the V8 ,but a button wont be able to open the flaps individualy...........?

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

Nick on later cars (incl. GT3) they only have one filler cap...

Some EU cobblers!

James - do you mean it crunches when trying to put it back into gear?

If so it could be that at the very high revs youre shifting at, the synchros are having to work that much harder (and faster) to match the gearbox shafts and cant do it in time ;)

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Glad you enjoyed the test drive and realise just how much traction the Lotus has.

As to the points you mention I would not expect a loud rattle from an Esprit but most cars aftera few years may have a few small knocks or rattles. I think most owners have got used to these small sounds and are more worried if it's silent.

As an idea this could be a heat sheild loose or craked if it appears at more than just the ger change. A short tt drive no always ideal for diagnosing such things.

Also what is loud ? To some people the smallest squeak can be loud o used to quiet cars.

Other posibiltiy is the exhaust or CAT is breaking down and inards are rattling under suddn off boost.

The clutch shudder could be more serios, did it do it under normal start or just high up shifts. Possibilties nclude the clutch having a bit of conamination and not engainging immediately under high torque situations. If it happens at lower revs it could be a worn plate or slight warping in the clutch.

Finally it is always possibl depending upon your change up style it could be trying to spin a little and your getting some suspension bounce on the rear. Try rolling on the throttle rather than just snapping it full on, it's usually getter for the car and also quicker with better control. If you where then ignore me ;)

Don't know os a way to externally confirm a high torque ECU except to have a look at the unit and the chip inside ?

Either will have markings to denote it's config. The factory race ECU's for example wher red. High Torque ECU's would show up as a higher maximum boost in 2nd, not sure of figure ?

happy motoring

Nick on later cars (incl. GT3) they only have one filler cap...

Some EU cobblers!

James - do you mean it crunches when trying to put it back into gear?

If so it could be that at the very high revs youre shifting at, the synchros are having to work that much harder (and faster) to match the gearbox shafts and cant do it in time ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It could be... but the problem is rectified simply by dipping the clutch further down when changing up. To be honest I think the problems arise more out of me just being lazy and trying to half-clutch it to save time.... :D Never a good idea in an Esprit. :)

EspritMiltonKeynes - ironically now lives in Edinburgh London (SE4)

Hahaha

No this one really was an EU rule!

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

The "torques" in my car are the non-rattling type.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, it wasn't a constant rattle. It was more like a thump\clunk when dumping the clutch on the 1-2 shift. Almost like if the engine cover was hoppin' around. Maybe I was too harsh on the clutch. :)

Anyways, I'll be checking out 3 more V8's this weekend. So we'll see if it's normal.

'03.5 Final Edition Esprit ~ 5.7lbs/hp

mildly modded - 430rwhp, 353rwtq