Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
CHECK ENGINE Light .......GT3 is dead ! - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

CHECK ENGINE Light .......GT3 is dead !

Help guys

Edited by GordonMasson

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not so good Gordon. :P

I have an ancient laptop running freescan and a cable. I'm no expert but I believe we should be able to read fault codes and see some data with just the ignition on.

Where about in Aberdeen are you? I work in Westhill and live in Oldmeldrum. I'd be happy to offer what assistance I can.

Cheers,

Keith

Calypso red '92 Esprit SE Hi-wing

Calypso red '87 Excel SE

Blue '07 BMW X3 2.0TD SE

Hi Gordon,

If your check light is still on then you don't need freescan to read the codes. All you do is pull down the ALDL plug from under your dash and use a paperclip and short out the white and white/black wires (I think?). Turn the ignition on and this will start the read process. After the start flashes, it will then flash the code out first with the tens then with the units. After it reads all the fault codes, it will flash then same amount as the start up sequence to tell you there's no more and it's finished.

Have a pen and a piece of paper handy to write down the fault codes.

I will look at the manual tomorrow and let you know the exact proceedure and get back to you.

Regards,

Dave Walters

Thanks for the help Dave

Sorry im new to FreeScan and im not sure what you mean here.

First of all is the ALDL lead on the drivers or passenger side?...is it clear what im looking for.

Next i short out the wires you mentioned and turn on the ignition.

which light starts flashing,.... is it the check engine light?

Im a bit unsure about the start up sequence... what does that mean?

Cheers

Gordon

Ok... i had a go at this ... not sure if i did the right thing or not.

I couldnt find the plug under the dash but i remember Bibs telling me there was one by the battery so i used that.

I shorted teh black and white wires and then turned the ignition on.

First thing that happened was that the coolant light came on and the radiator fan started running

I watched the ENGINE CHECK light and it looked like it flashed in the following sequence:

1 2

1 2

1 2

3 5

3 5

3 5

then it went round the loop again

1 2

1 2

1 2

3 5

3 5

3 5

all this time the coolant light was on and the fan was running...

Does that tell you anything or have i got it wrong?

Cheers

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I think you've done it right! So the codes are 12 and 35. I'll have a look what they are for you and get back to you.

Right, according to the manual, the first code should always be a code 12, which you have. So we are looking at the code 35 which is idle air cotrol valve (idle speed error).

Do you have an email address I can contact you on? I can send this section to tell you how to address the problem. Also redo the test and make sure there are no other codes.

The fan does stay on as I recall.

Dave Walters

Hi Gordon,

Dispite the fault codes it's worth checking the contacts on the solenoid, I had the same problem as you, turn the key and all you get is a click from the engine. I like you thought it was something serious but all it was was corrosion on the spade connector on the solenoid, some wet and dry and a new spade connector on the red/white wire sorted it. Best to check the simple things first.

Code 35 is engine speed Rpm and Idle air controler

EMH4-64a.jpg

EMH4-64.jpg

Hello Troy!

Do you have any info for ERROR CODE 41 from that service note?

I have been struggle with that error for ages...

Jukka

Jukka Angerpuro

Thanks for the help guys.,... i now have freescan cable courtesy of Keith and Dave has talked me through a few possibilities.

I am out tonight but i will try to have a quick look before i go ......keep you posted.

Thanks again to all of you

Cheers

Gordon

Evening Update :D

Well done guys.... :D The car is running again.

Turned out that it was the solenoid wire as predicted.

I had assumed that fault 35 had inhibited the engine from starting / turning over but from discussions today it became clear that that wasn

That's good news Gordon! :D Maybe not a total fix but at least she's no longer marooned in your garage.

I'm not up to speed on eveything freescan can do but I do recall something in the manual about resetting the IAC and some learning procedures. Not sure that was in conjunction with error 35 though..

Anyhow, I'm sure someone will be along shortly with some advice on how best to proceed.

Cheers,

Keith

Calypso red '92 Esprit SE Hi-wing

Calypso red '87 Excel SE

Blue '07 BMW X3 2.0TD SE

Gordon,

Glad to hear she is running again. I thought it was most likley the Solenoid, as it sounded a carbon copy of my problem. Good luck sorting the fault code problems.

Ade

The other night when the car wouldn