Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Different kind of brake problem - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Different kind of brake problem

1. ABS light comes on about half the time. Sometime straight away, sometimes after 10 minutes, and sometimes stays off for a week. IT DOES NOT FLASH....EVER.

2. The BRAKE light doesn't come on (except when I use the parking brake).

3. As soon as I start the engine (or turn the ignition ON), regardless of ABS light status, the rear wheel brakes engage. Not hard, but enough to where it is very difficult to push the car in the driveway. They stay engaged until about 30 minutes after I kill the engine.

The brake pads aren't worn down much, to give you an idea of how little pressure we're talking about.

The brakes have been bled, and I pulled out the 2 fuses per LEW to override the ABS and nothing changed.

Are the solenoids on the master cylinder user servicable? It seems like one of those could be the culprit.

Come on ninja's, someone knows what's wrong.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, those cylinders readily come out. Just pulling the reservoir off and they will come out. They press fit in like a fuel injector. What is happening is that one of the solenoids is sticking on... holding the rear pressure. You might try banging the rear solenoid with a screwdriver or tiny hammer and see if your rear brakes release. It could be stuck with debris, or is just frozen. If your fluid was really nasty prior to bleeding, then this may be the reward for neglecting annual fluid changes.

Fortunately, those solenoids are listed as a separate part.... the rear solenoid is part # A082J6135S

Edited by Paul93Lotus

Scott,

Ur car has wilwoods on the rear if I remember corectly,

Do you know if they have dust seals on the caliper pistons

if not they they r racing calipers, dont last long in streat.

Edited by Tony94S4

I called the stealership and the guy said he thinks I need a new hydraulic something-or-other. Only $3100 USD. I am going to try and avoid this at all costs. If anyone knows where I can get a solenoid like the one mentioned above, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Try a Buick or Pontiac dealer. At Pontiac, tell them its a 89-91 Grand Prix Turbo, or 89-91 Buick Regal with ABS. All Pontiac turbos had the Powermaster 3, it was optional on the Regals. You may be able to order the solenoid from there. Otherwise it is time to find a used one.....time to hit some self-serve yards and hope you get lucky. I suppose the only other problem could be the spool valve within the master cylinder which would require a complete rebuild. :lol:

There is a place in Texas called Prior Remanufacturing that can rebuild the Powermaster 3. The problem is that the original PM III is modified by Lotus....the GM units are different where the push rod from the brake pedal meets the master...so you would need to send your original in to be rebuilt...an exchange won't work (I know because I have a brand new unit in a box at the moment that may not work because of this)

Edited by Paul93Lotus

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after further review it has been concluded that the pressure switch and accumulator are faulty. To add to the chaos, the master cylinder is leaking.

I also found another good reason to have the handbrake on the door side....SO YOU CAN USE IT WHILST DOWNSHIFTING WHEN THE CRAPPIEST ABS SYSTEM LOTUS COULD GET THEIR HANDS ON FAILS COMPLETELY!!!!!!!!

I'm going Wilwood Racing all around. The car already has the calipers and I have ordered the Master Cylinder and Knob Style Proportioning Valve. If I have to replace expensive items, I might as well get a good, reliable system with easy to find parts and get rid of the weakest link in the car. Without any more ABS fail. Without any more Accumulator fail. Without any more Pressure Switch fail. Without Matt Guitar Murphy, and without your 4 fried chickens and a coke!!!!

The best part is, parts + labour will be under $1500 USD. Less than the parts alone for the Lotus system IF I could find them. Now, I'm off to wash my beloved Esprit before the Rangers-Werder Bremen game.