Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Small but annoying problem - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Small but annoying problem

I am getting down to the end of an extremely long list of things that needed to be complete before getting my project Esprit back on the road. My current problem is when I use the turn signals or hazards, the green indicator light in the dash does not light up. However, the actual turn signal bulbs in the front and rear of the car work fine. They flash to indicate right or left turn and when I hit the hazard they all flash. So of course I checked the dash bulb and it is fine, just to be sure I replaced it with another one and it and still didn't work. Next I changed the bulb socket with a known working one and it still didn't work. Then I went and got a replacement flasher relay and...what do you know IT STILL DOESN'T WORK! I then checked all of the wiring from the flasher relay to the bulb socket and to the flasher relay to the control stalk and finally I checked the grounds. Everything is wired up just fine. I also checked all of the fuses to be sure and they are all fine. Does anyone have a clue what actually tells the dash indicator light to turn off and on? I have the wiring diagram and from and I can tell the Flasher Relay should turn on the dash light, but even after changing it, it still does not come on. I'm totally stumped on this one. :lol:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graham do you have side repeater lights ?, I couldn't tell from your pictures There are two electrical diagrams (12A (with sides) and 12 B (without sides)) in my book. If you have side lights then the dashlight is connected to the hazard switch otherwise it is connected directectly to the hazard/flash relay. I suggest making up a seperate test light and connecting it directly to the flash relay or to the hazard switch and see if it is working, if it is you have a wiring problem with the dashlight. If not then ?????

BTW your car looks stunning, are the running problems solved?????????

Freek

Esprit Freak

Freek, my car indeed has side repeaters. I was playing around with the hazard switch last night trying to see if perhaps one of the lighting relays could be swapped in its place, but no luck. I guess I will try and wire a bulb up directly to the flasher relay and see if it works. B) I already had my headlight switch fail on me so I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Hazard relay died as well.

As for the running problems, I have made no progress yet. I have a feeling it may be the timing. Either way I called a guy named Don Butler from Union Jack Exotics who is going to drive up to my house with a massive array of tools and knowledge and we are going to get this thing running one way or another hopefully this weekend!

Finally, thanks for the compliment! I still have to color sand the lower half of the car and polish it out. Also I have a set of the late model OZ Racing rims to put on :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed! It was indeed the flasher relay. I guess the new "universal" flasher relay I bought even though it had the correct lead pattern, it wasn't properly wired for the dash light. So I took apart the stock flasher relay and found that a small transistor had burnt out. Well I went on eBay and bought a few more for $5.00 and its fixed. Thats one down and many more problems to go.

I have the exact same issue .. . sometimes works, sometimes not . . . i will try your fix .. .thanks

The transistor is BC337-40 and is a little hard to find. If you need one let me know as I bought three of them.

• 3 months later...

The flasher relay is behind the instrument cluster. It's cable tied to the wood bit inside! It's the only relay there so easy to find.

There are 4 m6 bolts that hold the instrument cluster on, just around the area on the scuttle beam where your bonnet release is. Undo those, unplug the multi plugs and you'll be able to get your hand in to unscrew the speedo cable off the back of the speedo.

When you then take it out and turn it upside down, you'll see the relay.