Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exhaust cutout - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Exhaust cutout

I think the exhaust is 3 inches correct? The only place I can imagine installing one is either where the cat is . . . ideal or right before the muffler . . .which leaves cat restricting me . . . I thought it might be nice to hit the exhaust cutout, skipping the cat converter and muffler at highway cruising speeds, or when i want a little boost. They sell tons of them on ebay for less than 100$ for the kit, plus getting a Y pipe is easy . . . even having one made is not that bad . . . anyone done it?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't done it, but here, in alberta, Canada, we don't require catalytic converters.... so I'll just cut mine out. The system I want to do is cut out the cat and then have the exhaust from the wastegate directed to a straight pipe... right out the back of the car. My intention is that when the wastegate opens..... the alternate exhaust pipe will shoot fire!

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

It certainly would be good to have one sounding as good as the cars look. Mine was so quiet i thought it was the only thing letting the car down when I went to buy it. (soon found a raft of things needing attention though!)

I'm currently measuring up to use the long removed EBPV/or something similar as a bypass valve for my 3" hand made system.

when I made the system i tried about three different routes and lengths, first one was just straight out of the turbo with a custom 3 and 1/8th" fitting I made, into a 90 bend, then a 135 bend, all about two foot long in total, out the left hand side behind the back tyre. no silencer, no cat, all 3". My word it was good. The flames were substantial to say the least and the noise on 1.25 bar full chat was awesome, more like an aircraft engine than a car one.

what i settled on is another bend so it goes across to the right hand side, (like std style) with a short straight through "silencer" by the back of the gearbox, than out the back with a 90 bend. did try without a box at all, but it was kinda not good for the neighbours. i had complaints!

Currently working on adapters to fit to the operated modified EBPV, to be fitted down near where it used to be, so when warmed and in open countryside, I could pull the cable for the raucous wail I used to have. This always put a huge smile on the face and released some grunt on boost.

What would be cool is if I could use the std EBPV actuator valve, but in reverse to open the valve when the engine is warm. I think this would open too early though. I'm thinking a long pull type choke/cut out cable.

One day I'll sort it out, but trying to move house at the mo, so garage time is low.

Edited by pitstoppete

there are tons of these things on ebaaaaa . . . electric, manual, i like the idea of hitting a switch to open the exhaust . .usually there is a Y adapter with this thing controlling the flow through to the adapter letting the exhaust out the short pipe of the Y rather than routing through the Y to the muffler, so this way all it replaces is the muffler back, emissions ok, sound ok, until you want it. You only get the cool effect when you want it and you can control it from a switch in the dash. I was going to buy a switch and replace the no purpose switch on the left hand side of the binnacle, 3rd switch down, under the fog lamps . . .make this a cutout switch. The units are cheap and EZ . . . I am looking into having a little piece made that would fit where the EBPV is, except have the ability to install the cutout to reroute the flow out a short side pipe straight down, or maybe create a pipe that goes out a hole cut in the left side, to emulate a dual exhaust . . . whole thing could be done for around $150 . . . dial up power, and gas mileage. . . .

see this . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Electric-Ex...tem180218718468

Edited by CBrownstead