Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Next question - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Next question

rogerch

OK, I've got the under tray off, why not, it's not going anywhere till I resolve the starter motor isssue.

I can see what looks like the fuel pump, cause it's got electrical conections, alongside it is a similar sized canister, rubber hoses each end, so I figure this is the filter, I can see no idetification markings on it, am I right, and does anyone have a part number?

Interestingly it has a normal screw tighten clip one end and a crimped one the other end, which leads me to beleive it's ex factory? but it's 20 years old!

Is it possible for a fuel filter to last 20 years, or am I looking at the wrong thing, oh, and how do you stop the fuel draing whilst replacing it?

Roger :lol:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably will be the fuel filter. From memory, it sits just next to the fuel pump.

I suppose it could be 20 years old as well.. Mine was before I replaced it! They have a large surface area inside though, so it's feasible to last that long.

To stop the fuel draining out while replacing it, you really need to syphon the petrol out of your tanks, or have a large container handy! The filter will have a load of fuel in it as well, so be careful when removing it and make sure the battery is disconnected incase you get any sparks.. Usual precautions for working with fuel really.

I should'nt smoke then? I might try clamping the line to stop fuel loss.

Any ideas on manufacturer or part number?

Thanks Roger :lol:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I personally wouldn't clamp the fuel line just in case it's gone a bit brittle.. you could end up with it leaking afterwards. they're quite thick walled pipes.

Don't know about what the part number would be I'm afraid. I think they're only fairly low pressure on the 88 Turbo, and the pipes held on with jubilee clips? In that case you should be able to fit more or less anything as long as the ends of the pipes fit.

You can still get them from Lotus though, if you have a local supplier down there.

The only fuel to come out will be from the filter. You can compare the physical dimensions to a 1987 BMW 325 fuel filter and find they are roughly the same. I mention this because your local parts house will more likely have a listing and part in stock for comparison. It is a fuel injected car so the filter will be of good quality.

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com