Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
radio/climate controls surround -fits sloppily - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

radio/climate controls surround -fits sloppily

Guest teigan

on the side nearest the windscreen glass, there is a gaping canyon between the dash and the center control console surround. exposed galvanised steel and screws are visible. is there some reason why the surround is that particular shape? is there another part that is meant to fill the empty space? photos from your car would be appreciated so i can compare. thanks.

post-587-1127201874.jpg

post-587-1127201889.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, does not look right-maybe a loosened bolt?

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

that can't be the only problem, because the forward edge has a curve built into it. the dash is flat. there was originally some reason to create that custom contour. by the way, everything in front and side views sits flush.

Maybe heat / sun related issue?

Ciao,

JB

the curve is cut into the underform, and the leather has been tabbed to suit the curve. looks original and intentional. can you snap a photo of yours please? i'd like to see the differences. thanks.

Taigan, I don't have access to the car now. But the console binnacle should be smoothly lying on the dashboard without leaving any gap. Maybe the DPO tried to fix a TFT screen to the car??

Ciao,

JB

uhh...

DSCN0432.jpg

mines the same way. Ignore the crappy photo from the rainstorm

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

My center console is distorted, probably by the heat. The piece is made of plastic. It's curved but not symmetrical. Can't post a picture because I don't know where my daughter has put the camera. Anyway, the leather is still nicely stuck to it. So it could be distorted. It certainly doesn't look right to me.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Teigan,

It looks like your former has buckled a little over the years. They are pretty flimsy and I think they commonly have to be reformed, repaired and packed before recovering to give the correct contour. That edge should lie flat onto the dashboard. I think their is a steel tongue fixed on the the underside of that front edge of the console that locates under the dashboard opening and keeps the front of the console in position

Richard

extremely acididic hands which also make it very hard to... never mind.

Seriously, it was like that when I got it :angry: it's not as bad as it looks in that pic. It just looks like very low quality wood was used, and the big black part is part of a knot :lol:

And the heat makes the glue that holds on the shift pattern indicator bubble and stick to my hand :lol:

*sigh*

this pic also made me notice a bizarre red "glue"? under the radio hood.

DSCN0436.jpg

IGNORE THE JACK DANIELS. It's part of a project... I honestly thought it was out of frame :lol:

slade

Edited by slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7