Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
V8 Dump Valves - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

V8 Dump Valves

The next item on the To-Do or To-Add list is a set of V8 dump valves (BOV's)...

I'm currently looking at two sets,

one is the HKS SSBOV's, which is what's commonly used.

http://www.lotusenthusiasts.org/Downloads/...BOV/Default.asp

The other is the ones with the T-pipes on espritperformance.com

http://espritperformance.com/espritperform...rt&Itemid=1

Anyone can give me some feedback on the comparison between the two?

Alan

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Alan, All depends how much money you want to spend. I think the silicone T-piece should be much cheaper and the big thing is that it's fully reversable! You would also get more get selling as a kit second hand if you decide to sell your car. The boss for the other kit would be scrap and you'd only have the dump valves left.

The other point is that installation is easier as you don't need to take the compressor pipes off which is a bit awkward at the turbo end, no space to work!

I've had mine fitted the silicone way for nearly 3 years now and never had any problems.

This may be a biased opinion (but I've tried to be diplomatic) as the latter website is mine. saying that, doesn't mean you have to buy it there, you can always find the parts in the US.

Hope this helps,

Dave Walters

Hi Alan,

I have the HKS SSBOVs installed and I am very pleased with them. I do agree with Dave that they are fiddley to fit and his look much easier. However I have no experience of Dave's solution so I cannot comment on their performance.

If you do decide to go the HKS route I would strongly recommend buying it in kit form (http://www.extremeesprit.com springs to mind although the website seems to be down??). I had a very tough time finding a competant aluminium welder to put the flanges on for me. I also bought a second hand pair of compressor pipes so I can reverse the install if I wanted (don't intend to any time soon though).

I was suckered in by the dual stage piston action of the HKS solution and it seems to work as advertised.

cheers

-Chris

Hi Chris,

The silicone solution, owners can choose single or dual stage piston. The singles are much louder and longer than the dual piston.

If you want to go weld on type then Alan Croft has a sapre set of comressor pipes which he no longer needs.

Regards,

Dave Walters

Dave,

Do you know where I can buy them in the US? Also do you have any video clip for the sound of the BOV? I like it to be loud but I would probably go w/the dual piston as you recommended on your web.

Regards,

Alan

Edited by E5PR1T

Hi Alan,

If you want a loud noise then go for the single piston type.

I don't know anywhere in US to buy them from.

I don't have sound files, I only use them functionality. I think sound files can be misleading as it all depends how close the recording equipment is and how high volume has been set.

Regards,

Dave Walters

The SSQV is one of the best valves on the market. It's one of the few with a dual chamber design that prevents it from leaking in off-throttle and idle conditions. In order to use it on the Esprit, you'll either need to weld the flanges on to the turbo pipes (or make new ones), or use a hose adapter that will allow you to use the valve with a silicone t-hose.

Megan Racing makes said flange adapter for the SSQV. Both the adapter and valve can be had from horsepowerfreaks.com in the US (no affiliation).

I would avoid piston and diaphragm type valves, they're generally not known for their ability to seal properly.