Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Night Driving & No Instrument Lights - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Night Driving & No Instrument Lights

Hi All

Haven't had my Esprit for long, and have only driven once at night. Lights work great but no instrument panel lights.

Driving along at high speed on the highway using my Zippo lighter every now and again checking the dials wasn't a great idea with a strong smell of petrol from the usual ruptured breather pipe.

I know the dials work on a rheostat, but nothing happens when you turn these knobs. Checked all the fuses and everything seems to be okay.

Without the benefit of a manual, am I missing something obvious?

If all the bulbs have gone, including the heater panel (and the DPO hasn't bothered replacing any of them), how do I change them?

Are they accessed from the front of the panel, or do I have to pull the binnacle off?

All Suggestions Welcome

Thanks - Mark

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HI mark

I think if I remember rightly there is a switch on the dash panel that switches the panel lights on and off and the rheostat adjusts the brightness. I think its in the left hand switch panel ( perhaps some one can confirm this )

If the switch is in the on position then it could be bad contact in switch / bad earth or a wire off somewhere.

Ray

Hi Mark

I Had a bit of this on my '85 Uk car.

Both rheostats went within weeks of each other. If you take them apart they are the cheapest rubbish possible. I was going to go to RS components (UK electical/ electonics factors) and try and match something up with the hex shaft, but hopefully wire wound and as a result, more robust. In the mean time if you release the Main instrument panel You could link the wires together behind each rheostat, I can't remember if its 3 on one (the third being the power link to the second rheostat) and 2 on the other. Insulate them well. I took the old bodies apart and bridged internally across the terminals, but you might think this isn't needed.

This at least gets you instrument lights.

This will take perhaps a couple of hours if you take it easy like me.

Richard

As a temporary measure, drop by one of the chain autoparts stores and look for those sets of decorative LED lights with a cigarette light plug on them.

A velcro strip wrapped around the steering columnand you can position them to bath the dash in light.

A lot safer till you work out the electical.

DomG

Dom Giangrasso

1977 S1 Esprit - Lagoon Blue

Thanks for the advise Guys...

Managed to get hold of and scan an owners manual with all the basic stuff in it.

If you refer to facia image attached, Switch 1, top left, operates my pop-up lights, which I assume is correct and should also operate the instrument lights?

I'm hoping no-one's bodged the wiring, (which, going on past experience, is quite likely looking at the rest of the electrics), so tracing the fault might be interesting.

I'll start with the switch, check wiring and then move on to the rheostats. I assume access to everything is from the front of the binnacle?

Do have a workshop manual on order, but if anyone out there has a wiring diagram I could follow, usual appreciation applies. Not an auto electrician by any means, so if I get stuck at least I'll have some starting point.

Cheers - Mark

post-437-1127460869.jpg

Nice to see the reputation for detail has carried over into the owner's manual

#27 WTF are Indictors?!?!

A typo in the owner's manual!! :huh:

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Hi Mark,

Pull off the rheostat knobs. You will then see a total of 4 screws on centre black panel, remove these. You can then access the screws that hold the centre alloy panel with speedo etc in. You will need a rt angle philips driver to remove the screws from the underside of the binnacle that hold the small left side guage and switch panel.

The wiring is tight so don't pull too hard, and check everything is still in place as you ease it back. I allways have real trouble trying to keep the rev counter connections in place, but the right hand side rheostat should be for the main instrument panel. The light switch is where you say and you should find a red/green wire off position 7 which takes power through two fuses (located in one of the 2 glovebox fuseboxes in parallel). One of these, fuse 5, then feeds the rheostats on a red wire also the front and rear side lights, right hand side, I think. So if your sidelights are working, you should get power up to you rheostat as long as the wires are still in tact. Not a nice job if you have big hands and no time!

If you need a wiring diagram I will scan and email you directly.

Richard

Edited by Richard S3T

Hi Richard

Will take you up on your offer, if you don't mind, on a wiring diagram for that mass of spaghetti under the dashboard. In case I get stuck.

Will have to wait a little while to do this job - 'cos the main rear oil seal decided to quit with all the usual repecussions of new clutch etc... :D

You can email me at markt@cubicice.com

Thanks again - Mark

Thanks for the advise Guys...

Managed to get hold of and scan an owners manual with all the basic stuff in it.

If you refer to facia image attached, Switch 1, top left, operates my pop-up lights, which I assume is correct and should also operate the instrument lights?

I'm hoping no-one's bodged the wiring, (which, going on past experience, is quite likely looking at the rest of the electrics), so tracing the fault might be interesting.

I'll start with the switch, check wiring and then move on to the rheostats. I assume access to everything is from the front of the binnacle?

Do have a workshop manual on order, but if anyone out there has a wiring diagram I could follow, usual appreciation applies. Not an auto electrician by any means, so if I get stuck at least I'll have some starting point.

Cheers - Mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi All,

Just curious but after looking at the dash diagram how many UK early 80s Esprits have the indicator switch on the right like mine.The hand book shows it on the left.Is this another case of Lotus make do with what is in the parts box?It is bloody annoying as most cars these days have it on the left and I am forever turning on the wipers when turning and feeling a pillock!!!

Wern 84T

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Switch 1 has three positions: top=off, middle=instruments and parking lights, down=headlights.

-Dave

All Cows Eat Grass

Hi All,

Just curious but after looking at the dash diagram how many UK early 80s Esprits have the indicator switch on the right like mine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wern

Just checked mine - definitely on the right as shown on diagram. Both my Mini's, MG's (same switch gear I think?), Triumphs and just about every other British car I've owned or driven is on the 'right' side. General assumption I have is if its European, it's on the right (wifes Merc included), If it's from the East, it's on the left. Dunno about the States - don't get many Yank Tanks here.

- Just my own personal experience... Mark