Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Throttle jack - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Throttle jack

Where is the throttle jack and how do I disconnect it? Cold starts aren't really an issue as I currently reside in Texas.

The reason for this is that I am getting the occasional high idle on startup until I drive about 100 metres, clutch - neutral - key off - key on - start engine.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi mate, could be wrong but I didn't think the S4 had a throttle jack. I was under the impression it was just fitted to carb cars which suffer from strip off. Your S4 being fuel injected is another issue. As I say I might be wrong but the erratic iddle on a fuel injected car is more likely an air flow meter/sensor problem, but there are others on the forum that know more about S4's than me. The throttle jack on a carb car is at the far end of the carb's near the bulk head. It has a mechanical piston which depresses the throttle linkage bar increasing the revs enabling reduction in run down(popping on revs falling) and more power to run air con. Hope this helps cheers chris

The SE, S4 and S4s do have a throttle jack as shown by the green arrow below. You can remove it completely or just remove the vacuum line but either way be sure to plug the line or the solenoid it goes to.

throttlejack.jpg

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

It needs a throttle jack to raise the revs while the ebpv (butterfly valve after the cat) is shut. When the ebpv is shut it heats the cat up quicker but without the throttle jack the engine would stall. I had problems with my engine revving up to about 3000 rpm from cold, my ebpv was disconected so i removed the throttle jack and all is fine.

Edited by davegtst

Cheers dave that now makes more sense. Being a meer carb turbo lad I was giving the S4 to much credit and comparing it to the likes of my saab's system. This has given me another reason to dislike catalytic converters lol. Am I right in saying the Esprit had to wait till the GT3 until it got a half reasonable remappable ECU???

My cat intestines broke into pieces and I removed them, so the cat is 100% hollow. EBPV is still there.

My bypass was stuck in the closed position. I ordered a EBPV eliminator thingy from JAE. Its just an aluminum spacer ring with appropriate bevels. when I got the silencer and EBPV off the remains of the Cat were jamming the EBPV...

I removed the throttle jack and associated hardware and vacuum piping. the bracket is the only remnant because its used for something else which names escapes me at the moment...

Edited by GregWO