Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oil change - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Oil change

I tried searching, but surprisingly got no results. My manual says my S4 has a capacity of 7.4 litre (7.8 quarts) of oil, but Lotusespritworld says to add 4 litres and slowly add more...so how much do I really need to buy? Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The vairiable is how much you can drain out of the coolers, I have failed to get it all out so far, therefore if you put the full capacity in, it's overfull. If anyone knows the secrect to getting all the oil out, please tell me!

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Roger - I used a compressed air line attached to one of the outlets on the sandwich plate. If you pump air down one, attach a hose to the other to direct the oil into a container. Not sure its a recommended technique but I was taking the whole system off the car anyway. You do get a good 2 to 3 litres out of the coolers and plumbing.

If you do that you then need just about the full 7.4 litres to refill the system as per the manual.

I usually need 5.5 litres.

Always drain the oil and measure what comes out, then put back what you took out.

Regularly check the engine every 10 seconds after (switch the car on and off) as I have experienced 1st hand the oil level change as the system re-fills around the oil coolers - you think it's ok and then it plumets down.

If you do regular changes every few 1000 miles you shouldn't really need to blow the coolers out imo, doesn't hurt though, what you can do is jack the car up at the front. If you do this after a run and the engine is hot the oil will come out no probs.

I also heard of a car that seized this way, so put in what came out and check every few secs for the 1st 5 start ups and then check daily to ensure it is OK - never fails.

Edited by Jonathan

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

I'll put him on it next time I change the oil!

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• 2 weeks later...