Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
B125AHM - Page 7 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

B125AHM

In cases like these, I engage "Water Buffalo Mode"...then I just plod tirelessly forward, looking neither to right nor left, just putting one foot in front of the other, so to speak...trudging ever onwards until the task is finished. Don't do "deadlines"....no rushing....don't get discouraged....it gets finished when it gets finished. At least I keep the remains of my sanity!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simon

We will have a chat at the next meet. No need to get depressed, look at all the new skills you have learnt that you wouldn't have if you had bought German. Owning a classic car is more than just the driving, its the whole experience of keeping it and knowing that when it is right, which sometimes isnt for very long, there isnt anything else that will give you the same pleasure (trying to keep note this clean).

Cheers

Ralph

Owning a classic car is more than just the driving, its the whole experience of keeping it and knowing that when it is right, which sometimes isnt for very long, there isnt anything else that will give you the same pleasure

Cheers

Ralph

I appreciate that with classic car ownership comes maintenance, and that when its running right nothing else comes near, I just wish there was a little more driving and a little less fixing :) (i too am trying to keep my post clean!!)

Ill get me hoist :)

If i was a decent man, i would probably offer to buy it off you as i have had more use out of it than you - but i am not a decent man, i am a skint man, so could i just borrow it again please!

Thanks Buddsy - let me know if you change your mind about doing a straight swap, your engine for mine!!!

Edited by simonf

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

Simon,

I have been following this thread and could'nt help but notice you are wanting a little more out of your esprit than it really wants to give. It might be a good time to look for an HC. I am running an HC with carbs in an 83 TE. I run 10 psi from time to time as I have boost control in the cabin. Most of the time I run 8 psi, put if I want a little more I just dial it up. I am also running re-jet 45s, no cat and free flowing exhaust. The HC is cooled better than the LC and should last longer because #4 is not being pinged to death. I think the HC would solve the problem of wanting more boost and give you a little more engine life.

There are a couple problems I do have. I can make enough power to slip the clutch. Another is the always controversial citro gear box. And most important, is that, IMHO, the TE is the best looking Esprit, I just wish is was a little faster still. I think this is common ground for us.

I keep touging at that string, and I really should just enjoy the car for what it is. A 26 year old exotic that, in its day, was an absolute bad ass.

Cheers

Clay

I did bid on John's old block, but not with any real determination, if it was going dirt cheap with no real interest I'd have found space for it somewhere on the racking, but thought other bidders might have more pressing needs.

To be fair, i have always wanted to keep my car as standard as possible so i wouldn't be that interested in uprating to HC even though the benefits are clear to see! Add to that the

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

• 3 weeks later...

Ignore the above post!

I have just had my shiney new HC pistons turn up from Lotus Cars......hhhmmm shiney :) I need to bore the block out, anyone know the correct dimensions for this?

I am not going to go the full HC conversion, just the forged pistons and i only bought them coz they were Buy it Now on Ebay at

Edited by simonf

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

Andy - I'm not convinced that the casting between the LC and the HC head is significantly different (other than larger inlet ports). It seems to me that the improvements in the HC cooling were achieved by mods to the external pipework and the outlet stub from the head (both stubs are interchangeable). I prepare to stand corrected, but thats my observation of converting an LC engine to accept an HC head.

cheers Steve

Sorry Simon but you really need that HC head to run more boost. The cooling in you LC can't deal with the extra heat and you would end up just pinging number four to death. With that said, you could put a methanol/water injection on it and increase boost. :) But that may be more than you want to deal with. Better stay with 8.5.

Cheers

Clay

There was a cooling mod to improove the pre HC system.... I know cause I have it :)

Its a box filled with loads of rubber & ally pipes and a different thermostat along with an external expansion tank, its supposed to improve the flow and efficiency around the engine and it was just under

Chunky Lover

Steve, the HC head had some minor but significant work done to alter the coolant flow, it can be done to an LC head to make the LC head as effective at cooling as a head that built to be an HC head.

Yes that makes sense to me. I think we might agree that the limiting factor, for both models, is likely to be the fuelling and ignition without an ecu. I reckon detonation, on an over-tuned car, would potentially kill the car as quickly as overheating - assuming your cooling/heating systems are in good order...

Steve, yes, more fuel or else pistons will be melted away, so happy to agree that.

Buddsy, the only reason the ali liners and piston set may take more boost (note earlier I have told Simon NO to more boost) is the fact they are probably a little bit stronger, but would still be susceptible to melting if detonation occurs.

OK guys i get the message, NO MORE BOOST!

I did think that the forged pistons could deal with an up on boost, but the last thing i want to do is another rebuild!!!! So 0.5lb boost it is then!

I have just had a PM from Brian Angus RE: the bore diameters for the HC pistons (Buddsy you might need this info later as i am hoping that you will do the bore out for me :) )

Anyway if i post them on here other people can benefit by using the search button.

If you want to bore your LC engine block out to accommodate HC liners:-

To Quote directly from 'Mr Esprit' - AKA Brian Angus

The liner bore should be 102.42 / 102.47mm (please check before boring your block out!!)

The cutter diameter 115.3mm

You should aim for a Liner Land Seat Depth of 69.750mm and this should give you the correct liner height.

Thanks Brian for the info!!

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

Scott...how is a charge cooler going to stop pistons melting? I thought the idea of a charge cooler was to increase the density of the fuel/air mixture entering the engine and thus produce more power. I would think this would result in more heat being generated and thus being more likely, all other things being equal, to melt the pistons. Or are there other effects I've overlooked? We'll be on to water/methanol injection next!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I believe the effect of innercooling, and/or water methanol injection, prevents pre-detonation (pinging). Which in turn prevents the pistons from being beat to death. In the US, where cast iron heads are still used, compression levels must be kept low because iron will retain heat and cause detonation. Aluminum will transfer heat much faster and allow higher compression. The LC head, as I understand , is not cast properly to cool number 4. The add on cooling mod really only effectively cools the LC condition, and does not uprate the head to HC. I have no personal experience with this, it is just my understanding.

Simon, Im with you all the way brother. Poor the coal to it, and lets see what is what. :)

Cheers

Clay

Buddsy, the charge cooler isn't to get more boost exactly, it's to get more air into the cylinders with the same boost. Subtle difference and probably what you meant anyway. The idea being you get the air cooler than it was, it become more dense, so for the same volume of air at the same pressure you have a greater mass of air, thus more Oxygen available for the combustion.

Could someone remind me before i finally get my car up and running, that i still have the 4mm washer in my wastegate! The last thing i want to do is blow holes in my new pistons!! :)

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

You meen to say, this is the last time you are going to help me take my engine out :rofl: but we have such fun doing it andy!

If that is the case i better drive it like a vicar from now on then coz i dont fancy trying to take the engine out on my own!!

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!