Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My Freescan readings - now need help! - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

My Freescan readings - now need help!

Hi Guys,

Got freescan up and running today and took it for a run.

Got full throttle a couple of times on the run.

I dont know what I am looking it but the MAT reading looks low and steady. Isn't the MAP suppose to be near Baro?

A little knowledge is useless.

cheers

Danny

run1.csv

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When freescan was developed... he (as I recall) got very sick and was only part way through developing the software... so, when he did the barometric and map sensor algorithms he got the math wrong. You're baro is bang on... but as I recall, you're map should be about .56... I'll have to double check that... So... it looks as if you're engine isn't pulling enough vacuum which tells me that your intake cam is over-advanced... but i could be wrong.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Danny,

If you want to learn about this stuff the Freescan manual available from LEW is a start. It will give you the basics and tell you what all the sensors reading should be.

Your log looks fine. I am not sure what you are concerned about.

MAP = Baro only when the ign is on but the engine if off.

MAT are reasonable for the weather and the boost you are getting.

You are getting about 1 bar peak boost but the turbo is struggling to hold it at high rpm.

Hi Dermot,

Sorry forgot to add that this is a follow on from another post.

The car is just out of long term storage and had a C serivce and is not running quite right. Hard work, slow pick up and very thrashy at low revs, lots of noise, the boost gauge goes up but the performance is not like I recall. Its simply not fun to drive and feels half hearted.

I had a similar problem when I got the car 5 years ago. The waste gate was apparently stuck slighty open and was bleeding boost which meant the low down was poor but ok high once spinning.

The garage say they know something isnt right but cannot put a finger on it especially at lower revs.

To be honest I am thinking its me and I have been spoilt by a new Golf GTI and a 350z but the car is a chore and it never was before.

Does the 02 sensor look ok? Years of idling in storage?

Danny

As I recall... the 02 readings in freescan are destination values... not read values... so they should always "look" okay. Don't forget.. the turbo will not spool as fast as the gti... and it won't have as much torque as the 350z.... but... it should be faster than the 350z. You have reset the ECU right?

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

The O2 data in the csv file is real time voltage output. It is a narrow band sensor so it the voltage swings are what you looking at rather than trying to convert the voltage to a A/F figure. The A/F field is a desired or target value and should be ignored.

Your O2 output does not look too bad.

You are getting peak boost at 3300rpm which is pretty good. I have compared your logfile to another very good stock GT3 and the boost curves are very similar.

Is your problems below 3000 rpm ? this is an area where a GT3 can feel very lacking, and 10% decrease in cc. show up.

"The car is just out of long term storage and had a C service "

If free scan showed OK, then my guess may some fuel line problem like some injectors ?

Especially long storage may stick fuel injectors !

Y.Hotta

The car has been getting better since I picked it up after storage. The battery was changed during the service so I thought it might be the ECU learning again but it took 100 miles plus to get noticeably better.

Today I restarted the ECU and the car was better and smoother again.

Here is my theory. The petrol in the car went off (3 years in storage). The performace has improved as the new stuff has replaced it but the ECU has learned to run on a duff petrol mix. Good fuel and a second reset means I am getting pretty close to running normal.

I did notice very little secondary injector Duty Cycle in your log... only a max of 9% and only once.

I've seen higher in other SE's and X180-R (stock and modified) and a GT3.

Usually at full MAP and full TPS and high rpms, you see spikes of secondary injector duty cycle.

Your csv contains only one spike up to 9 with nothing else when at full TPS, high MAP, and RPM.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

could this be caused by the fact the open throttle and full boost was only reach for a second or so due to road traffic at which point I had to come right of the throttle.

done 100 miles since the reset and it seems to drive ok. Forgot how laggy the car was. Got use to driving my cars on the first inch of throttle and not the last!

Interestingly the idle has changed since the last ECU reset and no longer seems to "throb" like a big speed boat. Also when driving hard it sound less thrashy but no quieter. Quite hard to explain but things sound more balanced.

Anyway onto me next challange. The sports seat rattle!

Danny,

Just had a look at your log and I am supprised how cold the MAT chargecooler temp is runing during your run. WOW!!!

I see you didnot push the car as much but could you please tell me if you have an original setup or have you installed an electric pump?

What was also the air temp when you did the test as I know you have summer there now.

I would appreciate the feedback if you can be bothered.

Thanks

Edited by greekmixS4

The car has recently had an electric chargecooler pump installed. It appears to work well and charge cooler is always cold (not even cool) to touch. On that run it was maybe 25 deg C. The car had not been ran on boost much so I guess there wasnt much heat soak from the turbo.

Thanks mate!! It figures that was the case. when you get the chance to push it a litle more I would appreciate the reading you getting as I am evaluating the performance of those electric units to a working original setup.

I dont have enough evidence to prove the which one work best but I hope one day we can prove this theory.

Thanks for your responce to my question and good luck with your project

Edited by greekmixS4